ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RTL 1014 is being given away BUT

Many of you will have seen a message from Mike Lloyd about this, but for those who have not.....
'Unitrans of Davis, California, has for disposal RTL 1014. In CA since late 1967, the bus is in original condition, retaining a Leyland 0.600 engine and AEC fluid transmission, has had regular maintenance both mechanically and bodywise, and it is a runner. The cost? Unitrans is prepared to donate 'Unitrans of Davis, California, has for disposal RTL1014. In CA since late 1967, the bus is in original condition, retaining a Leyland 0.600 engine and AEC fluid transmission, has had regular maintenance both mechanically and bodywise, and it is a runner. The cost? Unitrans is prepared to donate the bus FREE! so long as are met two conditions. 1), the bus must go into active preservation and 2) the recipient must guarantee that it will have secure undercover accommodation. Shipping costs will have to be met by the recipient, but Michael Dryhurst understands these are cheaper now than when he repatriated RT 1, 26-yrs ago. And, Davis is but 70 freeway miles from Oakland, the container port for the San Francisco Area. Unitrans requires an answer by 13th July but reply initially to Michael Dryhurst at aec.weymann@yahoo.ie and NOT to Unitrans directly. This is too good an opportunity to miss, especially as there are far too few RTLs in preservation. And as Michael lived in the USA for the best part of 25-yrs, he knows what'll happen to 1014 if it is donated to a U.S. 'preservation' group'...

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: RTL 1014 is being given away BUT

Brian,

I wonder if the 'British Bus Club' will be showing interest to get it as part of their fleet? Even though it is "red and white" and has London Transport on the side ;-)

Answers on a post card please............!

My bus number (if any): RLH 62

Jim I think Davis have already seen some of their handywork hence the restrictions:-)

When I last enquired re RTL 1176 shipping from California to France or UK was about 5000 USD good bus this, used to be at a good garage........

A group of us could allways go in together to bring this bus home ? Anyone interested ?

mark

My bus number (if any): rml2391

Might be worth checking out if this is the one with the roof that has collapsed or is in bad shape, there was one in the US I saw on web page, still worth having though

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

Matt,

This one is in pretty much mint condition. You're thinking about RTL 1628 which is at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine.

That was/is part of "The British Bus Club" fleet as mentioned above. They are/were going to convert it into a single decker but couldn't find an oil filter. I 'm not joking am I Brian?

That is why I'm an independent bus restorer here in the U.S. !!

My bus number (if any): RLH 62

No its true Jim, bus had no hardly any roof left lower deck ceiling had collapsed into lower saloon and most of the top deck was on the lower saloon floor. But nunmber one priority was to get an oil filter(which RTLs do not have!) Oh and a spade to see if it had any tyre rubber left on the wheels under the foot of sand and mud it was buried in :-) Good job a Museum had looked after it..........

Hi Jim

Bizarely I have sold Kawasaki parts back to America! You'd think they'd be able to get these easy to get parts there!

Re the Bus I mentioned, I think I was searching on Leyland 600 engines and that was how it came up.

Matt

My bus number (if any): RML 2547