ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A restored RT for you

I hope Chris won't mind me posting this on a Routemaster site but I know many of you have an interest in London buses that extends to other London classes.

RT8 passed MOT and COIF late Friday after many of our staff worked through the night to ready it for my wedding on Saturday. Whilst not yet fully complete and needing many finishing touches some pictures from Saturday are on the RT8 blogsite at

http://restoringrt8.blogspot.com

Hope you like
Cheers

Steve

Re: A restored RT for you

Hearty congratulations!

I've linked your picture of the wedding bus to this post.

Click here to get straight to RT8's blog.

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

This is fantastic achievement considering the condition it was in when it arrived back in the UK. However, rather than the wartime livery, I would seriously prefer to see one of the RT2 either a tram replacement service bus in normal livery, or as most of us saw them with old style PRIVATE blinds, stuck on L plates, tatty seats and a few painted over dents. Perhaps the next guise for one of the survivors?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Brian

We debated long and hard about livery/period to go for and wanted to be different from RT113 but wanted to go for the wartime look. As such we went for the two headlight arrangement rather than the 'as new' one, and incorporated a few other bits that came slightly later.

From a commercial point of view, wartime buses are popular for TV and films and of course there are not many about, so whilst I have always liked the red with cream uppers livery, RT8 was only going one way I'm afraid.

Of course there is the added bonus that most people don't remember them in the wartime livery so can't correct them from memory!!

Cheers
Steve

RT8 looks great and well done on wedding .

Look forward to seeing RT8 out and about , any plans for RT8 at shows/running days ?

Mark , RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Steve ,

on the blog it says its planned to have a public unveiling on July 30th. Would this be at the LT Museum Depot Acton Open Day , or hasnt the location been decided yet.

Regards

Chris Stanley

My bus number (if any): RMC1500(1486) RF489

Steve Newman
I hope Chris won't mind me posting this on a Routemaster site but I know many of you have an interest in London buses that extends to other London classes.

RT8 passed MOT and COIF late Friday after many of our staff worked through the night to ready it for my wedding on Saturday. Whilst not yet fully complete and needing many finishing touches some pictures from Saturday are on the RT8 blogsite at

http://restoringrt8.blogspot.com

Hope you like
Cheers

Steve

Congratulations to you and Helena on your wedding Steve, all the best for the future.

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner)

Hi Steve, as you realised the remarks were a bit tongue in cheek. I can see the commercial reasons for having a wartime livery, there is a demand for this even in France. A few weeks back we did a film spot in the town of Vichy for a film about a Resistance fighter who escaped to London in 1941 and we used one of our Saunders RTs for it. We had "authentic" vinyl stick on blinds made for Route 9 and applied the white spot at the rear and mudguards, although clearly anyone who knew RTs would see it wasn't an RT2, but we got away with it to an extent as they only took shots from the front and near-side as we drove by. although I doubt anyone in France except Danny Chabaud would know it was not an authentic war-time RT.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs