ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breakdown recovery

My bus had to be recovered yesterday when I was driving it for an MOT. A blade on the cooling fan broke, and the broken piece distorted other blades and punctured the radiator. Pity, 'cause the radiator was a new one!

Recovery in progress!

I called recovery (arranged through my insurance) and a CMG vehicle arrived with a very efficient young driver who towed the bus (after removing half-shaft) to Ward Jones for repair.

I was very impressed with CMG, the driver knew his stuff, and took great care to avoid overhanging branches etc.

Worth checking your fan for loose rivets, etc! I dont know whether I could have prevented this, I dont know whether any impending problem would have been detectable.

John B

My bus number (if any): RM577

Re: Breakdown recovery

Maybe worth considering a Kenlowe type electrical fan, saves engine power about 5BHP and gives better MPG, the ATV's we work on at work have thermally switched fans which won't go through the rad.

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

Glad to hear you got a recovery man who knew what he was doing...!

We had some hassle recently when RML2394 blew a small gasket, resulting in a spectacular fountain display of coolant and steam.

Unfortunately, the twerp sent by the insurance-provided recovery scheme was convinced that removing the half-shaft was a bad idea and would cause troublesome oil spillage on the road. He refused to listen to the advice of our driver and insisted on disconnecting the propshaft instead. This required a lot of banging and clattering around under the bus and, in the process, he managed to knacker the speed sensing transducer, meaning that by the time the bus got to Ward Jones' it had no speedo and no auto gears. Oh yes, and he took it down a narrow country shortcut with low trees....so now it has a crack in the roof dome. Thanks, chum!!

Charles Nove
Glad to hear you got a recovery man who knew what he was doing...!

We had some hassle recently when RML2394 blew a small gasket, resulting in a spectacular fountain display of coolant and steam.

Unfortunately, the twerp sent by the insurance-provided recovery scheme was convinced that removing the half-shaft was a bad idea and would cause troublesome oil spillage on the road. He refused to listen to the advice of our driver and insisted on disconnecting the propshaft instead. This required a lot of banging and clattering around under the bus and, in the process, he managed to knacker the speed sensing transducer, meaning that by the time the bus got to Ward Jones' it had no speedo and no auto gears. Oh yes, and he took it down a narrow country shortcut with low trees....so now it has a crack in the roof dome. Thanks, chum!!

Hope they'll be hearing from you Lawyers Charles.

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner) RML2600 (Driver)