ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuses

Hi everyone,
Just removed, repaired and replaced two bayonet light fittings, but think I must have blown a fuse re-wiring them. Can someone tell me where the fuses are on an RM for the lighting? I have a feeling they are behind the rear top deck seat, but if so; not sure how to open this up without damaging.
Thanks

Re: Fuses

Barry,
How can you re-wire lighting without knowing where the circuits go?
Or maybe you are just replacing a light unit?

Either way don't attempt anything without a diagram or at least checking how and where everything goes.

It may only be 24v but a wiring fault can do a lot of damage and is also prime source of fire.

Depending on the RM, an original has fuses located in two places. In the cab and above the conductors cubby.
Those with original fluorescent lighting have a relay box. On the RMA it's on the stairwell. for example.
Modified RMs have fuses or relays and they, depending on the conversion and engine and even the depot they were based, have stuff located in various places.

It's best to make sure you have a manual and as many diagrams as possible, so you know your vehicle.

Hi Barry,

I have scanned a RM pre refurb wiring diagram, the one that is about 5 foot long. I will email it to you when I get home this evening.

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM13

Many thanks for the wireing diagram, and yes it's massive. Also thanks for the safety concerns. I wasn't actually rewiting, just removed and replace the bulb terminals, but now they seam to have failed. Just the small task left of finding the fuse now!

Update:

I located the fuses. They are in the box unit containing the light switches for the saloons. It appears that in my haste I literally cross wires when re-fitting the bulbs and simply blew out the fuse wire. All sorted now, means I can put my ceiling back together!