ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A new home for RML 2626

Hello everyone

After a year of posting for advice on here and looking for a Routemaster to buy I am pleased to announce that my family and I are now the new owners of RML 2626.

We collected it on Wednesday and are pleased to say that the Iveco engine held its own during the 170 mile, 6 hour journey back and without incident! As you all may know the engine is a bit sick and breathing heavy but it still managed to plod along at a steady 42/43 mph. Admitedly it did lose 2.5 gallons of oil through the breather but on the plus side we won't have to waxoyl anywhere underneath in the near future.

Now we've got it home and had a good look around it we are extremely pleased that the bodywork is in alot better condition than we first realised and it all seems to be there minus a couple of things that had probably been swiped for souvenirs when it finished its service.

No doubt I'll be posting for advice and parts over the coming weeks so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Karl

My bus number (if any): RML 2626

Re: A new home for RML 2626

Good to see it has gone to someone to use, I probably saw it when I worked in Putney in 1983, I worked just round the corner from the BR Station where they changed crews on the Routemasters.

i was interested in this bus but didn't have the grant money lined up for it I had hoped! Never mind though, hope it goes ok for you and I'm glad to see another Putney bus saved for future enjoyment.

Matt

RML 2547

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

Thanks Matt

Yeah, now we've got it back we're really pleased with it and are glad we didn't go for some of the other Routemasters we viewed.

Once the engine is sorted and a few panels on the O/S/R and front wings are done the outside will be up to a good standard. We'll wash it off this week and take some pictures to post on here.

Thanks again, Karl

Hi Karl

I probably saw this one outside Putney BR station when I worked in Putney!

See some of my restoration pics at

http://rml2547sphotos.fotopic.net/

I've been doing the interior of my bus to start with whilst waiting to get it washed off and for parts to arrive

Matt

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

The gentleman that converted the Putney RMLs to Iveco's is called Steve Emberton. If you ever need advice on the Iveco engines he's a good person to ask. I've got his number somewhere from when I asked him to help with cleaning out 2644's fuel system.

Glad you can get 42 out of yours, mine gets to about 38 and suffers badly on the hills.

My bus number (if any): RML2644

Hi Brian

If you've still got it could you give me Steve Emberton's number? We've got a rough idea of what the engine problem could be but asking an expert may throw up something we hadn't though of. If you've got it that would be brill, thanks.

It plodded along at 42 all the way and dropped no lower than 35 up the hills. We were following in a car so obviously every speedo has different tolerances but according to a relatively new ford it was 42. The bus speedo only went up to 30 though so we're not sure if it's got a higher geared diff in therefore giving it a higher top end and throwing out the speedo reading? Do you or does anybody else have any ideas on this?

Many thanks, Karl

Hi Karl ,
42 mph is about top you'll get in a standard RM/RML , if you have a higher speed diff RMA/RMC type it will be quite a bit higher . If your 'poorly' engine can manage 42 it could be possible you have got a higher speed diff but I would think on hills you would lose a lot more speed and have to go through the gears more . Also , starting off you will have to use first gear whereas normally you're using 2nd on a standard diff fitted bus . Perhaps the engine isn't that bad ? Can be usefull taking a sat nav that shows your speed , I've estimated my RML is reading about 5-7 mph low and its been suggested to change the speedo head on the dash , your's might need this replaced as well .
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

If you've any doubts about which diff is fitted they are easily identified by a stamped plate riveted to the base of the casing. The standard diff is marked DU17, the intermediate Green Line diff is DU18 and the highest ratio BEA diff is DU24. The respective ratios are 5.22 to 1, 4.77 to 1 and 4.08 to 1.

My bus number (if any): RM1001

Thanks for the heads up and advice guys. Will take a closer look at the diff and see which one it is.

Cheers, Karl

S & J Mechanical Services
241 Kingston Road,
Epsom,
Surrey.
KT19 0BN.

Tel: 0208 393 8040
Fax: 0208 393 6506

Brill.