ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Refurbished heating system

Was at my bus at the weekend for a clean and check prior to Septembers little jaunt. For the record it's a refurbished bus (ie. indeterior radiators down the sides at floor level), with an Iveco engine.

I was doing a fluids check prior to starting up and given that I couldn't see a waterline on the header tank for the engine coolant I unscrewed the cap. What I ended up with was a fountain of water (thankfully cold) until I quickly stuffed the cap back on.

My assumption is that it's something to do with the salon heating system since this is the only thing that could provide such a head of pressure in an engine that isn't running. I've not had this as a problem before, so my next guess would be that a non-return valve might have failed. The Walker manual describes the air-ram heating system rather than the refurbs, so I'm after advice from anyone that might have experience with the heating/cooling systems of refurbished buses.

Brian

My bus number (if any): RML2644

Re: Refurbished heating system

If you don't need the interior radiators working it might be easier to disconnect them, if they only have water in the system, they could be liable to burst in cold weather due to freezing. Also if they are in your engine cooling water circuit, if a hose goes on them it could also create a problem for the engine. I won't be putting mine to work for that reason , being a historic bus they don't need to work.

I do have a whole set of interior radiators spare if anyone needs them.

My bus number (if any): RML 2547