ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM577

I was in my national Express coach going in to milton keynes today
when i saw RM577 WOW She does look nice it was heading towards M1

Re: RM577

I agree, here is a recent picture

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

This (RM664) was in Aldenham being prepared for painting when I did my induction tour there as an apprentice,
Does look interesting. Of course, to look as original, it needs an earlier grille and bonnet roundel, the correct grille vents for the wings and the correct font number plates, painted light rims and the original foglight.
All stuff that in all probability might take a time to acquire.
But very nice to see with it's period posters. I hope the paint fares better than the alloy, it looked terrible in Aldenham

EDIT Jack I have tried sent you an E-mail with a photo of LT Engineering staff you might recognise and/or find interesting. Your E mail address is not available can you send me a current E mail address?

Sorry to go off topic but there is no Private message facility on this board and it might end up in your spam folder.

Back on topic, considering the state of this when Mike Fuller got it, it looks great, I am sure that the small things that are not quite right will be corrected over time. The wing grilles are not hard to find or make but the bonnet and front grille are not easy to get or inexpensive. It has an "RML" bonnet which could not take the original roundel plastic badge and I doubt has the gap behind the fronrt piece to allow the nuts to be put on the rear of the badge.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Of course, to look as original, it needs an earlier grille and bonnet roundel, the correct grille vents for the wings and the correct font number plates, painted light rims and the original foglight.

Hi John Norie, you are right of course. But I will stay with the grille. The grille vents are wrong, and I hope to get them changed (notice the two wings are different height!) I also have a foglight which I will get round to fitting. It did not work, so I took it off for the MOT!

It will obviously never be authentic, since it is painted silver, and the whole point of RM664 is that it was NOT painted. But the experiment failed, and I dont intend to repeat it.

It would be good to see y'all at Showbus in a month's time.

My bus number (if any): RM577

John, I had a set of these old grilles in my old workshops back in London and a sheet of the mesh. I will make a call on tuesday to see if the stuff is still there.

I can't promise it will all still be there, but I hope so. I had kept these bits and the offside one came off of the original 664 - on my trip to Aldenham as a souvenir!
A apprentice than took them and shared one each!! A memento hence why It never got chucked.

If my man finds them they are yours although you may prefer to use the silver one as a pattern I would kind of like to keep the silver one (it's painted and a bit tatty). Then that gets you started.

John

Hi Brian,
Thanks for letting me know, I don't use the email much. The firms one is my main one but they are funny about recreational use.

This one has expired from not being used for 30 days. I'll get it reset and post when it's up and running.
Wonder if I'm in it? I've got one from the LT magazine and one from LT news from my football days at Osterley.

Message to Jack

Not sure who is in it apart from my brother and Geoff Stoute from Fulwell, its a course at Weybridge circa 1984. I too have kept the LT Magazines from when I was 3rd in the Yoofs 880 yards in the LT gala to when I was the only coloured bloke until Mick Siemens from Bow came along, in the highly successful central road services cricket team in the early 70s and when I played for LT. If you played at Osterley were you in the LTASSA football team? I was with Chiswick General until I joined CRSA.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

If my man finds them they are yours

Brilliant. I will keep fingers crossed. Thanks for looking. John B

Hello John,
I've had our foreman search my London office workshop but to no avail.

I'll have a look myself when I return to London in October. There's a lot in there and with a lot of other stuff stored there but it is locked and just 2 people have the keys.

I'm sure they will show up and if not the sheet of mesh will.
I'll let you know after October 11th.

John

As I said, John, thanks for looking, and anything you find to help remedy RM577 wings will be gratefully accepted.