ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alternator/Charging Circuit

RML2366, ex-brixton Iveco Engine

Got some nice new battires on this, but after having th elights on for sometime, and then then engine no problem, the lights started to go dim
We found from the headlight being very dim that whilst reving the engine, it does not change or the light, just dim
This i am guessing is therefor not charging

Could this be the something to do with the charging circuit, or do we just need to get another alternator now
On our wiring diagram, it says there is a charge warning light, that maybe on the charge control panel, anybody know where this is located?

Any help or suggestions on what to do or where to go, West London preferable

Thanks in advance
Darren

My bus number (if any): RML 2366

Re: Alternator/Charging Circuit

Darren

I have sent you the contact details of Dave Kriesler.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Yes, Recieved, thank you very much Brian, have emailed him already, just waiting for reply/contact

Hi darren.if you look in the drivers cab the black box where the main cables are .you will see a hole..with the engine running look through the hole and see if the red light is on..if it is it's not charging..very common fault with the brixton Rm's...normally alternator fault..but have a look at the back of the alternator ..some times the lil wire used to break off...good luck

kind regards Tony Ex brixton mechanic

My bus number (if any): Rm997

hi darren if you get stuck both me and tony are located in west london so if need be might be able to pop out and have a look.regards tim.

My bus number (if any): rm 2023 2097 rml2388

Great
Well no joy today apart from finding out that it could be anything on a whole list of things

Doesnt help that everyone is busy or slow at getting back

But yeah, any help is welcomed

And/or someone to come fix it, cos as ive found out, no power, no gears!

hi Darren..also make sure the isolator switch is in the right position.

Do you mean as in either the on or the off position?

Or is there a weird postion it gets stuck in

Yes it was in the ON position (power on, so is that off postion as it's not isolating)
We had lights and engine for as long as the batteries lasted.

My bus number (if any): RML2366

yes sometimes.they can not be fully in the right postion.i live in west london, if you are not to far away ,i wouldn't mind coming and have a look at it for you..i.ve worked on your bus many times.and from memory wasnt a bad bus.so im sure it shouldn't take to much to fix it..you can contact me on 02072743772 thats my work number.if you need any more help
regards
Tony

Hi Darren, Ive lost your phone number, if you still haven't had any luck yet give us a call on 07946430359
Tony