ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
remove/refit gearbox

Hi....Does anyone have details of the kit used by LT for gearbox removal and refit? I understand it was a frame and that a couple of seats were removed in the operation. Any drawings available? Regards Ian.

My bus number (if any): rm446,rm765

Re: remove/refit gearbox

We removed and replaced a gearbox on RM2213 without a lift or pit. We jacked the bus up on one side, removed the dog rail, lowered it gently with a trolley jack and then slid it out on the jack.

Let me know if you would like a hand!

Regards Chris

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

Never knew there was a special frame. When we fitted a box to 1804 we rolled it under on scaffold poles, took out two seats inside, put a very strong bar across two solid wood blocks either side of the hatch, hung a pulley and chains from the bar, then winched it into position. It worked a treat.

My bus number (if any): RM1001

Ian,
are you planning a gearbox change ? If you need extra hands I'll come over if not working.
Mark
RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Hi Mark.....Thankyou for your offer of help...One of my chums up North is in the market for a box swap. At the moment things are fluid but I remember reading LT had a frame designed for the job and I did wonder about manufacturing one. I have an excellent block and tackle so in theory the two could make the task easy. Regards Ian.

My bus number (if any): rm446,rm765

There was a lifting tool used in the works and garages which was essentially an angle iron with a central lifting hole that took a hook or rope and the bottom side of the angle had holes drilled in it which allowed it to be bolted diagonally across the gearbox.

We knocked one up for the RT gearbox to hold it in place whilst we connected/disconnected the various hafts, pipes and bolts. In the garages the gearbox was dropped down and raised up using the pit jacks, whether the lifting bar was used to hold in place with a bar across the seat frames I am not sure, my brother or Jack Norrie would know, If Jack doesn't give an answer I'll ask my brother.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

LT garages used a table jack in the pit to remove and place the gearbox, no special tools or removal of seats although if doing it without a pit that, and a bar inside the bus might be useful. We have a bar we made to bolt to the top of the RT gearbox and jack it up using a jack from the side. The angled bar was used at Chiswick and in the garage stores for lifting from the lorry to trolleys for transportation.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

I can do a Routemaster gearbox change in under 8 hours. I lift the bus up, undo all the bits, lower bus and gearbox onto a trolley, lift bus up minus gearbox; remove gearbox on trolley. Change gearbox on trolley, lower bus onto gearbox and bolt it in place. Easy when you have the workshop facility.

My bus number (if any): RML2532;GS67;RT2629;MLL721;MLL738. MFM38 (Bedford OB)

at brixton garage as said we had a table jack..very straight forward job..

My bus number (if any): Rm997