ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Camping site for Routemaster??!

My daughter is trying to persuade me to use RM577 for a camping holiday for the family next year, probably in Dorset.

The accommodation would be basic, since I have no intention of turning the bus into a motor home, but the upstairs is cleared for painting, so we could put down some mattresses..

Has anyone any experience of using camping sites in this country with a Routemaster?

My bus number (if any): RM577

Re: Camping site for Routemaster??!

Hi John,
Might be difficult to find a site that will accept any type of bus . A lot seem to state no buses , vans etc . Probably due to the image of new age travellers or gypsy folks having tarred the image of these vehicles . Its worth contacting a few sites as there may well be some who might be happy , send them a photo of the bus so they can be reassured its not something nasty ! You might get a positive result . Let us know how you get on .

Mark RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Hi John

We have camped a few times in the UK with our Routemaster and it is great fun, however, what Mark has said is correct and sites do seem quite sceptical when you mention the word 'bus'. After e-mailing a few photos though, we did have a few offers.

Another thing to mention would be approach roads to the site, probably best to drive out to your chosen site first, not do what we did last year where one of us had to walk the last mile and a half down a single track lane directing the bus under some very low branches!

It does get very hot during the day upstairs and cold during the night so take plenty of bedding, we also fitted smoke alarms just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps.

My bus number (if any): RML 2364

Have taken 308 to Dorset syeam fair on 3 occasions now and thoroughly enjoyed it!

You can take the bottom seat squabs off and place two aside x 2 long and have instant beds, plus a great view!!

There is obviously lots of space and seats! but the down sides are:
Height on country roads / low bridges.
Heavy vehcle on grass (especially when wet!
not good at all on slippery offroad surfaces!!
not secure fuel cap (theft)
need a lockable rear door (theft)
Sun comes up early...wakey wakey
Cold at night (need space heaters n sleeping bags.
fuel at £1.20 a lr !!!!!!!

we converted RM66 to a sleeper / support vehicle / tow bus after the rainout of last year at the GDSF only to be scorched out this year :-) made for a very nice week......

My bus number (if any): RM308 and RM 66 (group)

All good replies, with many useful points. Thank you!

My bus number (if any): RM577

I've camped in an RM at Stratford on Avon Racecourse, Newton Mill Park, Bath, Sacrewell Farm, Cambridgeshire and of course, many times at the Glastonbury Festival.

It is important to book ahead and explain, if necessary, than an RM is shorter than many camper vans and caravans. It is also smaller and lighter than the lorry that visits their site every week to empty the bins.

As ever low trees are the biggest problem off the beaten track.

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

We have stayed at a camp site which has the height and space for an RM, We caravan so I know what to look for. It has electric hook up as well. Problem is it is in the grounds of a pub (hic)

Phone me John and I will get the details in the mean time.

David

My bus number (if any): RM1403

John
This may be of interest if you are touring with the bus, a publican from Nth Yorkshire started a club called motorhome stopovers which a number of pubs up and down the country have joined. The benefit is being able to park for free overnight in a car park attached to a pub, the landlords asking only that you may buy a drink or meal there. Some of them have parking space for vehicles up to 35 feet, I checked with the club earlier this year to see if this might include buses, where of course access was satisfactory for a high vehicle, and they said it would be fine. It appealed to me from the point of view of staying overnight somewhere a bit more
pleasant than a layby or motorway service area ( with charges) if on a long trip across country. The website is
motorhomestopover.co.uk.

My bus number (if any): RML2335

Hi Ed and John
I had forgotten about this club. I was an officer of the caravan club and there are a number of sites that they offer. Also try the RV club or http://www.motorhome-parks-uk.co.uk/

My bus number (if any): RM1403

Many thanks for the several suggestions, lads!

My bus number (if any): RM577 DMS 130 (1951 Regal) LFM 734 (1950 Bristol L)