ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Veg Oil Route Master

Anyone come across a Route Master converted to run on veg oil? If so, how well suited are they to such a conversion? Interested to learn any facts on this, Thanks.

My bus number (if any): not sure yet

Re: Veg Oil Route Master

I think there is one running on Bio Diesel by some Green organisation, however, that does have drawbacks, we have ATV's we sell that run on diesel and you have to change filters and fuel lines (rubber ones) if you convert back to straight diesel from bio diesel.

There are new research projects into Ammonia derived and algae derived diesel which are under way, it may be worth waiting for those to arrive on the market which may be safer in the long run. The AEC fuel pumps may not be so accomodating to bio diesel from the seal point of view. More modern engines like the Cummins/Iveco/Scania may be more accomodating of bio diesel as the seals are possibly more robust i.e not so likely to get eaten away if the diesel stands in the pump a while.

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

Think you'd be better off putting normal diesel in for now . Not sure if anyone else is running a routemaster on alternative diesel . It may be cheaper fuel but the cost of sourcing and replacing a wrecked fuel system may far outweigh any cheap diesel !

Mark RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Yes Mark,

A diesel fuel made from say Algae when on the market, should be cheaper than crude oil derived Diesel, and it will have been tested very throughly so it should not present problems to the AEC engine.

In theory a non crude oil diesel should have cheaper duty applied to it like LPG does. Diesel engines are so much cleaner than they were even a decade ago.

Mind you carbon dioxide is a minority gas in the atmosphere, the most prevalent gas is Nitrogen. Mind you if they abolished the EU MPS that would be a large saving in CO2, not only from what they spout about but all the 'conferences' they have to attend all over the place!

My bus number (if any): RML 2547