ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poorly bus !

Looks like a bit of expense on the way for RML2391 ! Nasty rumblings from the gearbox at the mo . Been given a few pointers what to look for will post any progress or not , as the case might be !

Mark RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Re: Poorly bus !

You could get Colin the Doc to have a look at his old Tottenham charge for you Mark.

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner) RML2600 (Driver)

Thanks Gra , Col has given me a couple of pointers , one good and easy to do , the other if its not that involves a new 'box !

Mark

Not the old running shift trick of putting saw dust in the gearbox I hope Mark!! Queensbridge still do overhauls or you could ask the real expert Lionel Moss before having to take the overhaul route.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Brian,
No sawdust mentioned , perhaps that's the 3rd option !!!!!! not !

The symptons are a very noticable rumbling coming from the gearbox which really gets going after the air has built up . Also , a strong vibration which can be felt through the floor of the bus . On the last trip out which was about 20 miles , when we were stationary some very loud 'bangings' came from the gearbox area .
There is no doubt that there is something wrong there somewhere . I'm not an expert but it does sort of suggest something like some bearings may have worn ?
Any contact details for Lionel , would like some more opinions before commiting to anything .
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark
I have sent you an E mail.

Brian

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Thanks Brian , got it .

That rumbling and vibration sounds like something we had in our early days with 2394. It turned out the bearings at the back of the gearbox had collapsed. We didn't have the loud bangs though! Good luck!

Hi Charles ,
I fear its probably the same on 2391 as well ! Did you have recon 'box fitted as replacement ?

Mark