ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rm interior light bulbs

hi guys and girls thought it might be of use to to let you know that southern transit now have rm saloon light bulbs in stock at £2.00 each he is also willing to post if need be he can also supply all other bulbs for both refurb and non refurb buses.he also has had remanufactured differential plug copper washers as these seem to now be unavailable.his contact number is 01273 464754 ask for neil.regards tim.

My bus number (if any): rm2023 2097 rml2388

Re: rm interior light bulbs

Hi Tim

Are these standard size bayonet fitting bulbs or screw in type?

Thanks

Matt

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

All standard RM light bulbs are 24v bayonet.
Saloon lights, indicators( 4x12v), sidelights, destination boards.
Bayonet size differs for some items. The only screw bulbs are I recall, the gearbox and brake warning light and the indicator repeater.

Refurbs have been messed around a bit and several differ. So platform lights and stair lights need to be checked individually.

Hi Jack

As I have no lower saloon original lights I wondered if the bulbs would fit domestic type lamp holders

Matt

They will but not with 240v running to them! These are only 24v.

I think I noticed somewhere that someone is remanufacturing the original fittings

Hi Jack

re the bulbs they would be wired for 24v, I was looking to see if I could get holders to fit.

Someone has made a mess of removing the originals so the plan was to replate over the holes to tidy them up with suitable holders to take the light bulbs.

The plan was to fly cut some holes in aluminium sheet squares which would not look out of place if let in to a joddled edge on the panelwork and riveted or fixed with self tapping screws.

Matt if you have the aluminium sheet, why not just make some new lighting panels?
Its quite a simple manufacture, or there is a firm in Hanwell who might do them, PAG in Trumpers Way Hanwell W7. Might be easier in the long run and if others want them might be chance to get a quantity discount, or perhaps Mr Duker of the RMOA can assist.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Busworks has had very good replicas of the original RM interior fittings remanufactured and I have them in RM471.

They are indistinguishable from the original but inevitably the price reflects the cost of remanufacturing small batches of components by hand.

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

Yes I could make them myself as I can fly cut the holes for the bulbs to come through but I will need some bulb holders to fix in as mine have been removed by persons unknown.

I don't want to pay silly money for bulb holders, I have seen them at £45 each. So if I can find something that fits for a few quid each that will do.