ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Routemaster Speed

The garage are telling me that our newly acquired Routemaster will do all of 42 MPH. I'm also hearing about refits with Cummins engines. I'm guessing 42 MPH is easy to live with, considering the charm of the vehicle, once you get there, but I am curious if the refit to Cummins engine makes it any faster?

My bus number (if any): RCL 2259

Re: Routemaster Speed

I used to drive RCL2223 Robert and could get 50MPH out of it's AEC engine, the RMCs and RCLs were fitted with high speed diffs so I have to admit to being a little surprised that RCL2259's top speed is only 42MPH. The three former Shepherds Bush RMLs I have driven that had been re-fitted with the Cummins B Euro 2 engines and Allison Gearboxes could also travel at well over 50, the latest one, RML2600 can manage 52MPH.

Blackpool Busworks are currently doing these conversion and Managing Director Phil Higgs advised me the price would be £8,200 plus VAT.

Here is their website Robert, they should also be able to do something about those dents on the side sections of your bus's roof. http://www.thebusworks.co.uk/

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner) RML2600 (Driver)

The panels are mostly fixed with pop rivets, so dents are fairly easy to repair once the sheet is off the bus.

The Cummins B I think is also called the 'Dartmaster' conversion.

The Cummins C fitted to RM's is 8.3 litre and looks similar to the Leyland 600 engine - the C is a non turbo version of the C6 TA (Turbo) used in Fodens.

The B series might be more economical at 5.9litres !

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

It would be a shame if you did convert the RCL to another type of engine and gearbox . Being a relatively small class there are very few RCL's in their original condition . Rather than go to the expense of engines and gearbox it might be an option to get a high speed diff made up . I would also suggest when you can ,to go and check what diff your bus has got fitted (it should have a code on it). There were 3 types fitted to routemasters , the standard version which gives a top speed around 42 which sounds like what you have , there was a country area version which was fitted to the RMC and RCL which your bus would of had giving a bit more speed and the third type was fitted to a production run of routemasters operated by BEA which could manage about 70 mph ! Needless to say high speed diffs are rare and sought after . If enough owners could get together no doubt a small production run could be arranged to get some done at a manageable price ?

Mark , RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Might there not be some diffs from coaches or newer buses, or even from lorries, for that matter, which might work to gear it up and increase the speed? I agree it would be a shame not to keep the original engine and gearbox intact.

The RM was designed for safety and economy, It produces 125BHP downrated to 115BHP. This gave a maximum speed in service of about 45mph, it can go a bit faster by adjusting the fuel pump to optimum performance or by fitting a DPA pump if it doesn't have one. They can go faster as been said by fitting a diff from a RMA or RMC,(also off some Reliance coaches) but those buses also suffered from severe steering vibration and had to have a stabilizer attached to the steering column.

Its OK maximising the top speed but you also have to stop it and few if any of these buses has the facilities and equipment to carry out the type and frequency of maintenance checks and inspections that LT meant for it.

IMHO 45mph is quite fast enough for an RM particularly in the hands of an untrained driver. No offence to anyone on here but it really worries me that a nearly 8 ton buses are in the hands of people who have never had to undertake a proper driving test for the vehicle and whose vehicles are can we say "less than well maintained".

I understand the problems of slow speeds on Motorways etc, but do what we do, keep off them and enjoy the scenery!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Matt Sanders
The panels are mostly fixed with pop rivets, so dents are fairly easy to repair once the sheet is off the bus.

!
Roof panels are not pop riveted Matt, they are solid riveted. Before the lash up of the refurbs, all panels below the lower saloon waist were fitted with set screws not pop rivets to ease replacement.

Is there a Tom Tom program indicating off motorway height and width restrictions? The scenery sounds good to me. Hey the bus ride is the adventure!

Our Metrobus Playbus has a sat nav (Nav Man I think) which you can program with vehicle dimensions and weight - here is a Tom Tom link I found:

http://www.tomtom-navigation.co.uk/?gclid=CMjui8S92qQCFYVA4wodpA2wLQ

My bus number (if any): RML2747 & W Gash DD6

Or how about the good old truckers Atlas - a lot cheaper than the truckers satnav ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Close-Truckers-Atlas-Britain-Atlases/dp/0749561599/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1287338860&sr=8-3

(you probably can't hear the sat nav voice in an RCL ?)

My bus number (if any): RML2747 & W Gash DD6

Ref. Brian Watkinson's posting linking high speeds to shaking steering columns. I was told a story years ago about the RMCs with their high diffs. They were fitted with stabilisers attached to the columns after union reps at one of the Surrey garages said drivers were complaining about the speed shake. The buses were subject to tests by senior engineers who reckoned they were perfectly safe and steady at speeds. Nevertheless to keep the union happy stabilisers were fitted although according to my info it didn't make any difference.
I have run RM1001 with a BEA 4.08 diff for l5 years and cruise at around 50 mph (Once I managed to get it up to 60 mph on a motorway with a following wind!). Steering and steadiness has never been a problem and the column is as steady as a rock.

My bus number (if any): RM1001

Much of this is good news. I imagine it might do well on speed going down hill. ;-)

How are these at climbing?

All UK motorways have adequate clearance for RMs and low bridges under 4.5 metres on other roads are marked on the approach road, on the bridge and on Michelin maps which we use to plan routes. I had a fright the other day going into Tulle which is the Capital of the Correze to see an arched bridge which had not been marked as low on the map but had a sign on it at low height that said Height 3.2 metres!! I slammed on the brakes and stopped just short. Got out of the cab went upstairs to see there was adequate room as this was an open top bus to see loads of clearance. Then a man told me the sign was the minimum height and in the centre the bridge was 4.5 metres!

Re the stabilizer Mike, my RMC has one, if there was vibration it would not have done the engine shield any good as they are not particularly sturdy although I believe this shudder was a real problem on the RMAs. As most of us know friction caused by vibration was the biggest problem and the major cause of wear to the floors on the RMs.

I feel fairly sure that the pump setting on an RM was supposed to facilitate a maximum of 44 mph. In reality most buses were incapable of attaining that and on busy central area routes the short distances between stops meant that going over the usual 30mph speed limit was not commonplace anyway. And you just got used to the fact that there was little scope for going fast. But on rural sections of route in the evenings and where a higher speed limit applied it was sometimes possible to hit 40mph! Rarely more than that. At V, our small allocation on the 237`s gave us the contrast from the 9 road of reaching higher service speeds away from the West End. Going across Hounslow Heath could see 40+ mph held for nearly a mile - unless thwarted by the request stop near Baber Brook!

As Brian said, DPA pumps tended to offer slightly greater speed but, as I`m sure others would agree, at the expense of a smooth ride. I never liked RM`s with them and one example we had at V, RM 873, was a case in point. It was fast but really difficult to drive smoothly in normal stop start service conditions. Would other former drivers from the `pre-refurb` LT days agree?

But for sheer speed how about this.
Stamford Brook often had to borrow RM`s from other garages and I once got Hounslow`s RM 2121 for the second half of a late turn which culminated in the last 9 to finish at Mortlake followed by a dead run up the A316 back to V. From the moment I got in it around 2145 it was obvious that this DPA pump was a bit different. With the slightest touch of the throttle this bus wanted to go for it. Trying to hold it back in West End traffic was difficult and for over four hours I drove it wondering just what the hell this thing would do on an open road. Just before 2am I found out. Catching the lights on green at Chalkers Corner I already had a bit of speed up as we headed up the A316. It was a warm night and with the cab door open to one side and the window to the other, the sensation in the cab was unbelieveable. Talk about wind in your hair. I`ve driven many RM`s on motorways and never experienced anything like this one. The speedo needle got to 60mph and was trying to smash the glass to get out! I ran out of road before I ran out of speed! For probably less than a minute it was exhilerating, scarey and well over the speed limit applicable. But what an experience!

Very interesting story about RM2121 Neil. My friend Brian Turner has owned it for seventeen years and although it can no longer hit those speeds, I was still getting a respectable 45MPH driving it along the Motorway recently. RM2121 has been in West Central Scotland now for twenty three years having been sold to Stagecoach's Glasgow Magicbus subsidiary in 1987 with Brian purchasing the bus for preservation in 1993 after Magicbus crew operation ceased that year.

Here is a photo of RM2121 in her Magicbus days: http://ukbusphotosfromthe80s90s.fotopic.net/p47979618.html

And as she is now under Brian's ownership:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainrobbie9/4910583958/#/photos/iainrobbie9/4910583958/lightbox/

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner) RML2600 (Driver)

The RCL was modified by LT and London Coaches for low speed tourist work.
This involved removing the coach diff and using a bus one and some had the AEC 690 replaced with a 590.
This was so they could crawl around town at low speeds and minimise fuel use.

One or two were left or reverted back to high speed diffs and a 690 for coach relief work.

An RCL should do 60 mph flat and cruise well at 45mph.
With good tyres balanced wheels and correctly set up suspension and steering tracking, as well as all the bushes in tip top condition the bus should be wander and vibration free.
I've rarely come across this in later years but they were out there. RML2630 was silky smooth as was 2336 and 2345 in their HL days

To add to my earlier posting. With the BEA 4.08 diffs the buses can be sluggish especially on hills. In the days of showbuses West Ham fitted a BEA diff to RM 1037 making it easier to get to and from rallies, but when in service it was quite often 'failed' by drivers for its slow acceleration. When I fitted 1001 with a BEA|diff I had my DPA fuel pump slightly uprated to compensate for the higher gearing. It romps up hills and can easily keep up with any normal RM on acceleration. I am a great believer in the DPA pump. It is far easier and cheaper to overhaul and spares are readily available as opposed to the in-line pumps which are becoming problematical to overhaul at a reasonable price.

My bus number (if any): RM1001