ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Number of people a Routemaster can carry

Question please. I know we are limited to 8 passengers when the driver holds a regular licence.

If we have a fully qualified driver for an event, we could presumably fill it up.

My question is, with a bus like the one which we won, which has been converted and has seats taken out, does the number of seats left have any effect on the number of people we can carry. We now have a sort of living room space on top which could comfortably seat at least a dozen with the addition of a few cushions.

Your knowledge on this is appreciated.

My bus number (if any): RCL 2259

Re: Number of people a Routemaster can carry

You would need a tachograph fitted to carry more than 8 passengers. As you say, you would need a psv/pcv qualified driver.

You would next need to check whether it is for hire and reward, and therefore what type of MOT is on the vehicle. Class V and no fare paying passengers, you are okay, but this becomes a bit of grey area as soon as you charge for a journey whether directly or indirectly.

Beware - if you take out all of the seats, then it becomes an hgv !

My bus number (if any): RM1368

OK, it has a tachograph fitted as it happens. Does that mean with a qualified driver, that the former original passenger limit still applies?

You can carry a full load - as long as they are not fare paying.

However, somebody more qualified than me can correct this, but my understanding is that if the vehicle only has (say) 20 seats rather than 65 seats, then that would be your full load. In other words, 20 seated plus 40 standing woudl not be acceptable.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

I am curious what the law is. Since standing room is allocated on a bus with a full compliment of seats, then I can't see standing space being abolished if a seats are removed as the standing space is not affected by seats by its nature.

If your bus does not have a class 6 MOT you cannot use it for ANY reward activities at all. Also you cannot just carry 8 passengers with a car license
either as they in theory all have to known to you.
You cannot carry any standing passengers upstairs, so that limits you to downstairs where you could in theory with a PCV driver carry 28 seated plus possibly 8 standing passengers with suitable hand holds like stanchions and grab rails, they cannot just flop about! Not really sure what you are planning for the bus but if you were to exceed the number of passengers your vehicle is insured for and that doesn't mean it was 77 and so still is, (that number was seated or standing downstairs, if you had an incident that could prove very costly whether it was licensed for PCV work or not.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

We are a charity, so won't be charging for rides. I'm checking what class the MOT is, but we don't actually get the bus till mid November, so expect to see the MOT then. Fun getting ready. See a clip of us taking it round the block.

First bus ride

Your best bet is to talk to the DVLA at Swansea who issue the driving licences. There are so many grey areas its a bit like a minefield. The rules are being regularly amended to fit in with Euro regulations. Whatever Swansea tell you get them to put it in writing so they don't backtrack at a later date. If you do follow this up please share any info you get with the rest of us.

My bus number (if any): RM1001

hi all i think your bigest issue will be with not being insured for standee's.i know for certain i'm not insured to have anyone standing other than a conducter on running days.regards tim.

My bus number (if any): rm2023 2097 rml2388

Mike Smith
Your best bet is to talk to the DVLA at Swansea who issue the driving licences. There are so many grey areas its a bit like a minefield. The rules are being regularly amended to fit in with Euro regulations. Whatever Swansea tell you get them to put it in writing so they don't backtrack at a later date. If you do follow this up please share any info you get with the rest of us.

Been speaking with the DVLA, the VOSA, the Use and Construction of Vehicles dept, and a couple of others.

At first the VOSA said we needed a section 19 licence, but when I reiterated that we would not be charging for rides, they said we would not need the section 19 license. I was then told by the VOSA people that our bus had been classified for 27 seated on the lower deck, and 36 upstairs, but they then added that this was for paying customers, and were not sure about how this classification affected private use by a charity.

To explain, we have volunteers, and we distribute food and items to various areas. You have to apply and become a volunteer before lending a hand. You attend a health and safety session, get specific instruction for what is needed that day, and get a special outfit. Point is, it is not just a matter of jumping on a bus. It is a sort of club, for lack of a better word. It was suggested several times that our status does not put us under the running for profit umbrella.

In short, there are specific rules for the paying sector, but no one so far is very clear how that translates into the private sector. I will keep trying and keep you posted here.

Hi Robert,
RCL2259 looks and sounds fantastic ! Please keep up to date with your progress on the bus and it would also be nice if you could let us us know when the bus is out and about so we can see it in the flesh .

Thanks
Mark , RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

We have an event planned for the 22nd of December Mark, in London. It is about distributing food and toys for Christmas. A major food supplier has last week set aside 18 pallets of food for us to deliver, so already this is shaping up to be a great event in which to introduce the Bus. If any of you are interested in seeing the sort of work we do, Click Here Spot the Routemaster we rented for a day.

I will keep everyone here posted on the details as we get them, and if any of you would like to help us cheer up Christmas, you are more than welcome to join us on the day.