ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fleet Numbers and Logos?

Anyone know where you can buy authentic fleet numbers and LT decals for an RCL?

My bus number (if any): RCL 2259

Re: Fleet Numbers and Logos?

I used the Routemaster Association for our one.
www.routemaster.org.uk

May help you out.

My bus number (if any): RM308

Try Squirrel Preservation on 0208 300 2672 based in South London. They have large stocks of just about every decal ever issued by London Transport but can soimetimes be difficult to contact. Likewise Viscount International on 0208 505 3259 - they are based at Woodford Green, north East London. All these decals are plastics and easy to apply.

My bus number (if any): RM1001

Viscount International are very helpful.

Could you tell us a bit more about how Viscount were helpful please Robert?!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Re: Fleet Numbers and Logos,SPARES

WE CAN SUPPLY VINYL AND VARNISH FIX TRANSFERS FOR ALL ROUTEMASTERS AS WELL AS FOR RT ,RF ETC .ALSO AT THE MOMENT HAVING RMC DUSTBINLID BRACKETS MADE AND TRIALING THE ONE FOR THE ROUTEMASTER OR IF U ARE INTERESTED IN ANY OTHER PARTS PLEASE EMAIL AND I WILL REPLY OR PHONE 07949516399 OR 07956107636 THESE ARE THE BEST NOS TO GET US ON OR EMAIL

My bus number (if any): RCL 2238 PLUS OTHERS

Brian Jennings
Could you tell us a bit more about how Viscount were helpful please Robert?!

Certainly. There is a fellow there named Eddie who sourced the Fleet numbers and routemaster logo to go above the Fleet number, which is what you would expect from a signing place. but when I said I was interested in the logo which goes between the radiator grills at the top, (the triangular bit`), at first he said all they possibly had were transfers but these were not authentic, as some of these used to be done in plastic, like a little plastic plate.

Then he thought a minute and said he would make one up for me, using numberplate plastic material. Now that is what I call helpful.

Some recent pics of RCL 2259

Thanks Robert - I really meant "What were they able to supply?" but yes, that was very helpful of Eddie. You can buy ready made plastic reproductions however

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Brian Jennings
Thanks Robert - I really meant "What were they able to supply?" but yes, that was very helpful of Eddie. You can buy ready made plastic reproductions however

I ordered the gold trim fleet numbers with the Routemaster Logos.

Where can you get the ready made lastic reproductions, by the way? Sounds like my kind of place.

On RCLs the original triangle badge was in shades of green. One of several variations.

The first was a plastic bonnet badge in the shape of the LT roundel and versions were for the RM and RMC and early RML batch

The second was the retro fit and production triangle badge in red, white, blue and black.
This was used on all later batch RM and main production RMLs.
Overhauled RMC and new RCL had the same design but in green and white

A Red white and black triangle design with the word Routemaster was used on BEA RMAs and I think also Northern General RMFs

All these were print sealed plastic mouldings with a bevel to seat correctly

This stayed the same until the 1992 RML refurbs when a new white badge with a yellow and red appeared with the new grille
These were plastic inserts

Centrewest replicated their own blue red and yellow versions with Gold Arrow and Centrewest legends. These were enamelled
fastened by two threaded bolts

The marshal refurbs were fitted with enamelled Blue red white and silver 'London Buses' badges. Most of which were stolen within weeks

On RCLs the original triangle badge was in shades of green. One of several variations.

The first was a plastic bonnet badge in the shape of the LT roundel and versions were for the RM and RMC and early RML batch

The second was the retro fit and production triangle badge in red, white, blue and black.
This was used on all later batch RM and main production RMLs.
Overhauled RMC and new RCL had the same design but in green and white

A Red white and black triangle design with the word Routemaster was used on BEA RMAs and I think also Northern General RMFs

All these were print sealed plastic mouldings with a bevel to seat correctly

This stayed the same until the 1992 RML refurbs when a new white badge with a yellow and red appeared with the new grille
These were plastic inserts

Centrewest replicated their own blue red and yellow versions with Gold Arrow and Centrewest legends. These were enamelled
fastened by two threaded bolts

The marshal refurbs were fitted with enamelled Blue red white and silver 'London Buses' badges. Most of which were stolen within weeks

The ideal cheap solution is to use a plastic sticker replica and sandwich it between two pieces of perspex or Poly carbonate sealing it with resin to keep moisture out. Almost impossible to see the difference.

At HL we were sent a box of 50 of the original triangle badges with many sets of new bright trim after complaints of tatty presentation pointed directly at the depot.
I remember the union having a squabble over fitting them (it was time consuming) and the badges went missing. Not far though, they were used as coasters in the pub next door!

The problem with the later triangular grille badges was that the triangular finisher only slotted into the side and centre finishers, it had no individual fixing so it was relatively easy to just pull the triangular bit off the grille. The rest of the finishers were held in place by T shaped bolts slotted into the finishers and these also picked up the holes in the grille and the wooden inserts in the grille frame. The plastic badges were actually press fitted as Jack says but onto a foam strip that was glued around the inside of the finisher. Most of the early grilles with just a centre bar and number plate panel were converted to the triangular shape by the addition of a triangular piece of glass fibre. The grilles without the number plate panels fitted to the RCLs and production RMLs from new were all as far as I know made that way and were not cut down from original ones.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Robert Williams
Brian Jennings

I ordered the gold trim fleet numbers with the Routemaster Logos.

Where can you get the ready made plastic reproductions, by the way? Sounds like my kind of place.
For a red RCL you can get the original LT type ones from the Routemaster Association. For a green original condition Green Line RCL do as Jack says or keep an eye out at rallies and eBay, they are very rare.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs