ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What colour of Red? - Routemaster

Does anyone here know the paint colour code for classic Routemaster RED?

Also, Ref. the Routemaster radiator grill, when it is Black, is there a specific black normally used? Is it gloss, matt, or other.

I've also seen pictures of the grill being panted Red on restored models. Does this just vary, or is there a standard original colour for the grill?

Many thanks.

My bus number (if any): RCL 2259

Re: What colour of Red? - Routemaster

Look above this post there is "return to website". Go there and scroll down to "paint for your bus". The raiator grilles are actually red. See here
http://georgesbuspics.fotopic.net/p63159590.html

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Thank you. That is really helpful.

I know it's not everyones cup of tea, including mine, but there has been some very well informed information on 'The other channel' about detail and period accuracy.

I think this can be accessed in the same way as Brian pointed out his entry.

It is certainly a hot potato issue as many superb restoration efforts have been let down by small but significant detailing errors and many arguments have ensued over the feeling of unwarranted criticism that ensues.

A degree of arrogance and ignorance has raised it's head here and there, but really, for the Routemaster, there is such a plethora of good photographs and books with fully detailed dated captions, that there is no excuse.
Colour though, is something that is much harder to be accurate as the codes and numbers as well as samples need to be relied on.

But I do agree with the view that if you intend to do a fully authentic cosmetic restoration and pick a certain period, then research is required and this is where sites like this can help.

LT red has changed shades a few times but it is very subtle. The most noticeable being the change in shade in the 1970's when the solid white roundel was introduced. The shade is very slightly darker and more scarlet.

This was due to cadmium and lead levels being reduced, having by 1970, been revealed as highly toxic.
This led to red in particular, fading out and oxidising hence the slight darker shade to compensate. I think the type of paint was also changed but cannot confirm this.

Modern paints do not contain either chemical and several other nasties have been eliminated and shortly all oil based coatings will not be sold over the counter either. And red is still problematic in fading. Hence why so few cars are red nowadays

So the references are very useful but pick the period you want and stick to it.
This involves the fonts used for fleet numbers and legal notices, number plates and signage as well as the positioning of them. For a service class 6 you will need to add a few modern signs to conform.

Grilles were red during LT tenure with black and white number plates and polished stainless steel trim with a plastic triangle badge .
Post 1992 refurbushments the grill mesh was gunmetal with a painted sliver trim and reflective number plates.

Grille meshs were never black they were red or green during LT times and later for some. The mesh though was a real dirt trap and often looks black.

To add to the confusion, RTs always had black painted radiator mesh.
The RM mesh was red as it was always considered a compromise from the smooth full red front of RM1 which LT designers really wanted to retain.

I thought the 1992 refurb grilles were red, but I might be wrong. The photos I have of them newly completed and just in service certainly show red grilles.

The Marshall refurbs for London central/transdev had satin black grilles.

Some garages, I think Streatham was one off the top of my mind, painted theirs silver, just to be different.

The red is, or was, Post Office red, BS381C 538 or 537 if I remember correctly. Oil based paint is being removed from general sale for environmental reasons- but is still available widely, and will be, from classic the same suppliers but under the guise of "classic automotive" paint, in the same way that 2k or 2pack, while being "banned" is still widely available for the classic market.

My bus number (if any): RM531

Wasn`t there an ongoing experiment at Chiswick Works through the late seventies / early eighties regarding the fading qualities of red paint?

In the area between the Experimental Shop and the entrance to the nearby car park that ran alongside the eastern boundary fence, there was a large gantry arrangement. On racks (that I would guess were at least double deck height off the ground) were many red painted panels deliberately tilted to catch as much sun - and all other weather - as possible. I`m sure it was to evaluate different types of paint. Or is my memory a bit weather faded too? Somewhere amongst the many colour slides I have that were taken at Chiswick there should logically be views of this structure which was easily big enough to be in the background of pictures aimed at the skid pan. Does anyone else remember this?

I'm guessing that RAL 3002 is pretty close.

How about the white stripe? Any ideas on identify the RAL colour number of that?

I'm particularly keen to find out what colour (and type) of red paint was used by London Central for refurbs such as mine because it seems to have been very durable and slow to fade. I was interested in what Steve said because I'd come to the conclusion it was RAL 3002 which I know a lot of people use. It's hard to tell by comparing newly painted panels of RAL 3002 with older panels because of course they have become lighter but RAL 3002 does seem a duller/darker colour than say the inside of the bonnet which seems brighter and more orange. Surely someone knows what colour was specified at refurb time (although I understand they could have been repainted at least once since then) - Andrew?

(Hmm...maybe on reflection the inside of the bonnet wasn't repainted at refurb.....)

My bus number (if any): RML2302

As I said I'm still leaning towards RAL3002.

Also I really am interested in the exact colour of the white stripe that goes round the bus between decks. It also looks a bit yellow in some shots. Any guesses on that?

Oh and here is another one. On the passengers side at the bottom, next to the front wheel, there appears to be some white writing. Anyone got a shot of that which is readable.? What does it say?

Here are 11 pictures we recently took of our bus just for fun and interest.

Hi Richard - the white letters you are talking about are the "legal lettering" you will see on any bus which operates under an operator's licence to identify the operator. In the case of Routemasters it has of course changed over the years - I think mine says "London General Transport Mitcham" - but I think the original wording would be "London Transport Executive 55 Broadway" - Squirrel Preservation have the correct wording and you can buy a complete set of transfers from the Routemaster Association too. The white was originally "Chiswick Cream" I think but I will leave a discussion of that to more knowledgeable people here.

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Neil G
Wasn`t there an ongoing experiment at Chiswick Works through the late seventies / early eighties regarding the fading qualities of red paint?

The colour racks were on top of the LT Laboratory Neil. It as quite a modern building but vertainly there in the sixties, and visible on most pictures of buses coming onto the skid patch. Not just red paint was tested, many colours and types of paint were tested. The Laboratory had amongst its many function responsibility for testing every delivery of fuel and oil made to LT garages and I seem to remember concrete also (a sample was taken with every delivery), they also tested types of oils and brake shoes not just for buses and detergents and cleansers for the use of the staff,. The detergent used on LT was an LT spec product and could be bought by the staff at a reduced price.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Robert

Are you brushing or spraying the red? I have bought brushing paints for my job on my bus which came from HMG in Manchester.

To go with the previous postings, HMG's Series 1 Red is the older style of paint, this has more 'blue' in the mix and tends to look a darker red, the Series 2 is the more scarlet one which I have done my bus interior and seat frames with so far, the outside will be this shade too.

Re Storage, if possible keep the bus out of the sun and exposed to wet weather, red is a bad wearing colour, green is excellent by the way.

I have used HMG's Old English White for interior panels thar are white, although Sung yellow was original but looks like a nicotine stained white!

The colour depends on what era you wish to represent. The HMG Paint is very nice to brush on by hand, I find paint on in up and down strokes to cover and then 'paint out' left to right gets rid of any brush marks, use a decent brush like a Harris real bristle one.

Matt

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

Matt Sanders
Hi Robert

Are you brushing or spraying the red? I have bought brushing paints for my job on my bus which came from HMG in Manchester.

To go with the previous postings, HMG's Series 1 Red is the older style of paint, this has more 'blue' in the mix and tends to look a darker red, the Series 2 is the more scarlet one which I have done my bus interior and seat frames with so far, the outside will be this shade too.

Re Storage, if possible keep the bus out of the sun and exposed to wet weather, red is a bad wearing colour, green is excellent by the way.

I have used HMG's Old English White for interior panels thar are white, although Sung yellow was original but looks like a nicotine stained white!

The colour depends on what era you wish to represent. The HMG Paint is very nice to brush on by hand, I find paint on in up and down strokes to cover and then 'paint out' left to right gets rid of any brush marks, use a decent brush like a Harris real bristle one.

Matt

We are matching the colour to a plastic wrap. The whole bus will be wrapped. We have something unusual planned here and are looking to recreate in part its years in service as an LT red bus, which the records tell me started in 1979 although the original 1965 Red would also suit the purpose as well. Do you have access to any RAL numbers to match your suggestions. Would be grateful. .