ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM Brake shoe change

Trying to help someone over here who is trying to fit new shoes on the rear of an RM. He has the RM maintenance manual. He cannot wind back the slack adjustor more than half a turn because he has not removed the securing bolt. Anyone got or can point to a picture of the brake arrangement or can copy the page from the Manual, I believe its page 75 so I can mark it up for him. I looked at the S Devon site, their picture doesn't as far as I can see show this.

Thanks in advance

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: RM Brake shoe change

Neil G I got your message and have replied.
I have also received the pages of the "new" RM Manual from the French owner.
There is no mention at all of having to remove any bolts in order to wind back the slack adjuster in the changing brake shoe section. However, in the maintenance section before this it says when changing shoes there is a need "to reset the camshaft position relative to the brake lever. In order to do this the bolt securing the upper end of the operating rod should be removed as well as the end cover of the Ratchet unit The square ended shaft may then be turned". No wonder the owner is confused!!

Further to the above we have marked up the retaining bolt on the drawing Neil, hopefully there should be no doubt now as what is needed to enable the adjuster to be wound back.
All he has to do now is make something to get and hold the spring out and then match up the shoes to the drum :-O. Be interested to know what implements people use to extract the spring, it appears few on LT used the " special tool" preferring to make up homemade ones.

Hi Brian, not knowing if they have changed rear brake shoes before..i have changed loads, and if they get it wrong by putting there hands in the wrong place while putting the tool into the c spring and then pulling the pin out. if that spring comes down they are going to seriousley hurt themselves.

My bus number (if any): Rm 997

Hi Tony
I am pretty sure they have not done this before from some of the suggestions made as to what could be stopping the adjuster being wound back. My brother ex SW and BN B/M made the same exact point and I have passed it on. They have the RM Manual but as you will readily know, B/Ms never knew such a manual existed, they were shown how to do it. Unfortunately this bus is close to 1000 kms from me so I cannot do anything more than answer the questions raised and point out the pitfalls.

Hi Brian , even though i do have the LT tool to do the shoes..i always found it clumzy to use.so what we did is made up a simple tool. a bit of welding wire say 30-40 cm in length, then twisted it around a fair size bolt about 4-5 cm in length then added some nuts on the bolt.this will help when placing the tool under the c spring to give it some balance..hope that helps..if you need any more assitance, i'd be glad to help..
Tony

My bus number (if any): Rm 997

Thanks Tony
I have sent you an E mail. Look out for it as it might go in your spam folder.