ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM scania refurbs

Can anyone tell me if any RM's fitted with scania engines were also fitted with heating inside at refurbishment ?
Thanks
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Re: RM scania refurbs

Most buses gained Scanias as a replacement for worn out Iveco units, including mine. So you need to know if these standard RMs had heaters when they were Iveco to answer the question. Mine was the first Scania conversion for Arriva, it appears that the heating system was fitted at the same time as the engine and full body refurbishment, in 2000. NOBODY, from the operating companies to the association, has any original specification documents relating to Scania conversions. The specifications, while all using the DS9 engine, vary significantly from Arriva, to London Central, to Stagecoach.

My bus number (if any): RM531

RM1797 is a London Central refurb, and is fitted with an excellent heater, which I think was fitted at refurbishment.
I do rate the Scania engine, it has loads of pulling power. and RM1797 has a very smooth gear change.
I understand that there is a CD of all the parts required for the Scania conversion. I have not seen it, but told that it does exist.

I do know that the water hoses were made by a company called by John Templar Associates 01252 716415. I believe that they still have the tooling.

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM1797

The 3 main Scania conversions are set up 5 different ways by 5 different contractors and it's not unreasonable to find that no two are the same.

The London Central ones are good runners but initially they chewed up gearboxes and diffs as though they were pork pies for lunch. Too much torque.
They got sorted but by that time the axe was about to fall.

Nothing seems to exist in the way of specifications for fitting or parts suppliers which is the dark side of the RM history post LT.

Keeping good records to the level of detail seemed an extravagance at LT and by the mid 70's the bean counters really wanted to reduce records to the core. It took a while but the first attempts at meddleing did lead to many of the problems we faced in garages with the wrong parts in abundance and no vital parts.

After a respite in the 80's by the 1990's it was a joke. it all imploded and it was time to get out.

just to add as i didn't make it very clear , i'm referring to the saloon and upstairs heating on the scania's.

cheers

mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

The Converted Scania RMs had heating installed at the time of the engine conversion.
The RMLs had the upper and lower full length heating installed by either of the contractors who carried out the 1992 RML refurbishment.

If you are after a spare full set of heaters the long length ones I have a spare set

Matt

My bus number (if any): RML 2547