ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM13 and Spare Parts

I have been working on a fotopic site for the last month or so. It is my experience while rebuilding RM13, which was in a sorry state (and still is, but it’s looking better). I am not a LT mechanic, but a time served Tool Maker with a long history in bus preservation.
Hopefully some of these photo’s will be of use while you are doing work on your own Routemaster or at least help identify parts that I have used, where possible I will say where the parts were purchased. It is an evolving site, as I seem to be adding photo’s daily.
Any comments welcome.

Rob Duker

http://gallerybob.fotoblog.co.uk/

ps
Had a good day at Cobham today, and met lots of fellow preservationists, and bought a few bits.

My bus number (if any): RM13

Re: RM13 and Spare Parts

Excellent site Sir,
Very much what is needed as only one manual seems to exist and that is short on later vehicles modifications.
A shame there is no Haynes type manual for the RM with a more mainstream aspect for the preservationist.
But an illustrated parts guide/manual is an excellent move. Unless you are an insider or in the trade, it can be a devil trying to describe a part and in this modern age a picture is so much more useful.

That ventilation grille looks like an original, you have made a good job of that.

RE the corroded riverts, with a compressor, rivet gun and shaped dollies, rivets are far easier to do than screws and more permanent, but without an air supply those screws look to be a more than adequate substitution. The framing fixings that were expected to be changed a lot like the O/S corner rails and those securing the rear frame to the bus. particularly the vertical fixings were nuts and bolts, but always nylocs nuts and bolt downwards. The only possible snag with using screws/nuts on vertical fixings and near angle brackets is obstructing access to other fixings on the same pillar or rail.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Brian,
That ventilation grill is original, its scanned from that photo of RM13 you sent me, I have made the new ones, had them laser cut, but have not assembled them yet, but they will be a spot on match

Rob

I have added some more photos to the 'Routemaster Parts Site', there are over 100 photos, and I am adding daily to it.
Please look through the site, if you can add any information to the parts,I will upload it, also if there are any errors please let me know.

Regards

Rob

http://gallerybob.fotoblog.co.uk/

I have some info on Scania Engines, its about 140 pages. if anyone with a Scania Routemaster emails me I will send them a copy.

Regards

Rob