ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Destination Blinds

In the latest newsletter from the Friends of Classic London Buses of the Fifties I notice that Stuart Boxall
Martin Willis and Mike Welch have got together and gone into business making destination blinds. They will make them on paper or Tyvek. They have a website http://www.blindsforbuses.com/ which is not yet complete but the photo gallery shows some of the superb blinds they have made already.

Here is one of the pictures

I can wholeheartedly recommend the monthly newsletter of Friends of Clasic London Buses of the Fifties and membership enquiries and subscriptions should be made to David Thrower, 49 Ackers Road, Stockton Heath, Warrington, Cheshire WA4 2DZ, e-mail to david.throwerwarrington@ntlworld.com

Subscription rates: Paper copies, U.K. £16 per annum, overseas £21 per annum. E-mail copies anywhere £5-00 per annum. Cheques should be made payable to “Friends of Classic London Buses of the Fifties” (IN FULL) and not to individuals.

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

Re: Destination Blinds

I bought a set of blinds for RLH 62 from Stu and crew, and the finished product is outstanding. The blinds I got are printed onto Tyvek and are made to look like the traditional Aldenham product. Paper panels are pasted to the rear to diffuse the destination box light bulbs how the originals would at night.
Martin researched the correct Route 230 blind out for me and at my request combined the Merton garage Route 127 destinations (when RLH62 was garaged at Merton).
All in all a professional operation and a quality product.
I shall post a pic hopefully later today.

My bus number (if any): RLH62

This is a great move and hopefully will be a success, the first signs that preservation and commercial operations can move forward in a mutual way.

This might lead to some creativity or licence with originality but as long as what you see looks right and is as visually accurate as possible - Brilliant!

As between them they have a very large collection of original blinds Jack, I would think authenticity would not be a problem. As yet there is no indication of the costs, the manufacturer that London Buses used was a bit expensive for one-off orders.

There are of course other replica blind makers including Geoff Hudspith, who has supplied blinds for running days in the past, but good luck to Stuart&Co.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs