ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brakes

My problem could be weather related [Freezing Cold]
2478 hates the cold and takes her time to start in this recent cold snap.
Having left her running for some time to warm up i moved her and found that on the first application of the brakes the flag dropped but shot straight back up on release of the pedal also on release of the pedal a strange noise was heard from the g/box or accumulator area.Everything seems to be working fine but i wonder if anyone else has experienced this and is it a cold weather related problem?I should add that every first pump off the pedal brings the flag down but it shoots straight back and the pedal can then be pressed numerous times and nothing happens.
Any help will be leapt upon as the annual test is just around the corner.

My bus number (if any): RML 2478

Re: Brakes

Its possible that you have water or sludge in the air tank, which might explain the noise around gearbox but that should not affect the brakes or explain why the flag drops. It could be a cold weather quirk, RMs were not normally parked outside. Might be worth draining the air tank nevertheless this was a regular task on rota inspections as they are susceptible to accumulating crap.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Thanks for the speedy reply Brian.
I'm hoping that you are correct and that a small amount of water has frozen somewhere.
I have drained the air tank but very little came out but then again it could be frozen inside the tank.
Next plan is to get her inside and warmed up to see if that makes a difference.

My bus number (if any): RML 2478

It is likely that one of your accumulators has lost most or all air/gas pressure.

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of