ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leather ends to seats

I don't know if this has been discussed here before but when did Aldenham stop trimming the edges of RM seats with leather ?

I cannot find a date. I recollect that it was the early 1980’s but it may have been earlier.

I think the seats ceased several years before the backs, but does anyone know ?

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Re: Leather ends to seats

Hi Andrew

I can remember for certain that it was 1974 when RMs started arriving from overhaul without the leather ends to the seats but would have to guess at early eighties for the backs.

Re: Leather ends to seats

Andrew This was discussed on an earlier thread about mods and the exact date was not established then either. But from that thread I quote myself "By a fluke and the donation of some Buses magazines from my brother, whilst I still cannot find a definitive date for the exclusion of leather from RM cushion ends, it appears that in February 1981 RM 376 had the leather omitted from some seat squabs to match that of the cushions.

Neil Goodrich thought that the cushions lost their leather ends about 1974 but that date has never been confirmed by any article or LT mod notice. As I said earlier I don't think any of the RT or RF seats ever lost their leather ends. The early DMSs certainly had leather ends but the DMs didn't and they came into service in early 1975. The Metrobuses and or Titans certainly didn't have any leather, so it would appear that in 1974/5 the leather edging on the RM cushions was discontinued and then the squabs in 1981.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 and RMC 1458