ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
London New year parade

Good to see a couple of routemasters in the parade , also of note a couple of owner groups took part with a display of vehicles - Jag owners and Goldwing owners.
Would it be good to see a selection of RM's take part in their own right in this event ? Perhaps this could be taken up by the Routemaster Association ?

Regards

Mark RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Re: London New year parade

We did !!

But they only wanted open top buses as they had plenty already. Maybe another year.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

As Andrew said the committee did try and enter one or several buses but they were not interested. I also tried to enter 1403 but they did not want her either. The committee is trying to get a public profile for the buses but it is difficult to get the organisers to agree.

My bus number (if any): RM1403

Andrew,David,
I also mentioned the Lord mayor's parade which takes place in Nov to Andrew , has this been followed up at all ?

Regards

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Since TfL came along, they have had first dibs on the Lord Mayors show.

Just a few years ago they even wanted all RMs plus those that were not theirs banned under the DDA.

We provided several tractor and trailer units for many years and no-one bats an eyelid as H&S but TfL wanted all manner of stuff for buses in the show. Then they started on the trucks.
They backed away when the RHA said they would pull out all donations. Never heard that one again!

They backed down after several disability charities used privately donated RMs. Things have been less politicised since Boris's regime but the LTM now has the first call and as it takes them the best part of a decade to do a mere frontal rebuild on RM2, don't expect them to organise a cavalcade.

But other requests fall on deaf ears. It took 20 years for the Morris Minor Owners club to get an entry plus a charity sponsor.

The bottom line is that it immensely hard to provide a cavalcade in such shows and requires much planning and goodwill as well as costing a lot.
A tie up with a charity or better still a City Worshipful Company is the best way forward. Applicants also often need to be Freemen of the City of London.