ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Quill drive

I'm looking for a quill drive and wondered if anyone knew where I could get one to carry as a spare?

Many thanks, Chris

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 & 2213

Re: Quill drive

Chris,
A spare quill drive is probably one of the most useful 'get you home ' spares we could carry on the bus . Talk of getting these made has been done before but nothing come of it for whatever reason .
Not sure if Rob Duker's got any association quill's that could be remade/repaired ?
I would like one as well !

mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Yes,
they are away being Overhauled at the moment, the view was to do them on an exchange basis to members.
They should be back soon.
I will keep you posted.

Regards

Rob

http://gallerybob.fotoblog.co.uk/p68331324.html

My bus number (if any): RM13

Chris,

Mark is quite right there certainly is talk of having some made.

I was asked some time ago not by Rob Duker to look into having some modified shafts made. The problem has been that the engineering company that we normally use seem to have become unrealistic and will only give us a reasonable price if we have a large batch made. I have now come across an alternative supplier who is a guy on his own with low overheads who is prepared to make small batches for us. All being well we should have some soon and there will be recon service exchange units available through RMOOA which will be cheaper than buying one from Imperial Engineering.

I do have one in stock which I use as my own spare so if anyone is ever stuck they would be more than welcome to borrow it in an emergency.

In the below photo it shows the modified shaft which is the one with the bigger nut, the pulley also has to be bored out to take the modified shaft. Also in the photo is a picture of the shaft itself..

I have just finished this post and noticed that Rob has beaten me to it!

Photobucket

My bus number (if any): RM:2583 and RM1357

We've in the same boat as well. We've looking for a spare, but anyone that has them wants to do a part exchange which is understandable as you can't source them. But means you need a 2nd unit in the first place...

But leaves the advice to carry a spare Quill Drive a non starter.

As I understand it is the shaft that can fail, tho is getting the whole unit remanufactured possible? If so what kind of unit numbers would be needed?

Is this a case that we need to find out how much interest their would be for a batch of new units to be made with the new design for the shafts?

Adam

My bus number (if any): RML2366

Would it not be an unreasonable suggestion to try contacting a Chinese manufacturer.
My cousin works for the British Embassy out in Beijing, I asked him last week if he knew of some contacts for such worktobe carried out and gave me some advice on who and how to get intouch with engineering companies. I shall email him and get a few links, then contact the recommended companies.
I would need some details on the type of stainless steel used and if poss any CAD design.

Considering last time I was oh so lucky to be on the dole for a good while, I managed to source after many many hours trawling the net and emailing companies looking for a UK tool maker that went onto manufacture the new indicator rubber ears, with no thanks.

My bus number (if any): 2477