ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MOT day!

Passed with no issues at all. Hurrah. When I asked about the brake readings the reply was “can’t get better than that.” After the Test the examiner asked why they were withdrawn from London. He said that the bus was spotless (he clearly wasn’t looking at the bodywork). Now considering I have neglected her for 6 years, carrying out only minimal service work and no attempt at improvements let alone restoration and that followed probably a reduced level of maintenance in her final months in London (although Ensign did give her a thorough inspection) I think that just goes to show how well built the Routemaster is and how well they were maintained for most of their lives.

Temporary repair to the reducer valve worked and a quick check and top up of the accumulators. I still cannot achieve any more than 6 pumps of the brake even when fully charged. Any ideas anyone?

Is it just me that assumes the worst, has the most stressful day and then each year finds that it all goes to plan in the end. My wife would like to know that one.

David Colin

PS

I don’t think I have asked this before but I have wondered for 6 years now why my Cummins engine RML has an Iveco Header Tank. Any thoughts on that as well?

My bus number (if any): M1001 RML2276 T806

Re: MOT day!

David
Re only 6 foot brake actions, have you looked at the excellent section on RM braking on the South Devon site? http://www.rm1872.org.uk/Brakes.html
Six actions is not ideal but this is a back up system for an engine failure cutting off the supply of air. However, there are two clear possibilities (possibly others) for less than 10 brake operations with the engine off, apart from accumulator charge your brakes might not be self adjusting.

RE the Iveco header tank, probably just the first one that came to hand in the stores :-)

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Think the Iveco header tank was/is the "standard" RM fitting for non AEC/Leyland engines......my Scania has one too, as does every other refurb I have seen.

My bus number (if any): RM531

Six brake applications is NOT good enough; the requirement is for at least nine. This is important a life may depend on it.

You need to carry out further investigations into why there are only six apps with fully charged accumulators. There are several possibilities for this and without going into an exhaustive list, you would be wise to check whether there is any air in the system. I have assumed that you adjusted the brakes fully before taking the vehicle for test, but if you didn't, follow Brians advise and do so.

It would be sensible to connect the pressure guages to the braking system in order to diagnose what is wrong. You may have a faulty or incorrectly adjusted microswitch/ low pressure switch.

Great to have them sail through an MOT, 308 did the same after many years out of action...but its better when you dont have to have an MOT...RM66- exempt! :-)

My bus number (if any): RM308 and RM66 (group)

Where do you get this "MOT exempt" thing from Duane? - an examiner mentioned it to me a few years ago but I haven't been able to find when it applies

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Hello Brian and all

Two of the Vodka Kick promotional vehicles were MOT exempt. The Petebilt was imported from America as a leisure vehicle and when we had their Volvo East Lancs "bus" built that too was registered as some sort of leisure or showmans vehicle. The vehicles simply have periodic checks which are recorded for due diligence but no MOT is required. I think the road tax is as a car.

Just searched for RM66 and found it is a recovery vehicle which are also MOT exempt.

Duane. Do you keep records of periodic checks to prove the vehicle is safe. We were told to do that to roadworthyness in the event of an accident.

David

Re: MOT Exemption

Thanks David - I don't think I'll bother to go to those lengths to get MOT exemption! As you imply, it's a double-edged sword because the owner still has to keep the vehicle safe or they might find your insurance doesn't give the protection
they thought (apart from any disregard for other people's safety!)

PS Shows what that examiner knew when he said "This'll be exempt in a few years..."... (don't go there anymore..)

My bus number (if any): RML2302

For many years pre-1960 HGV have been exempt from MOT. It has been generally accepted that these vehicles are not used for carrying goods for Hire and Reward and therefore this dispensation has been allowed.

A search of VOSA website reveals that there was a consultation document in 2009 into EU demands that a review be made into the 37 different categories of HGV that are/were currently exempt. I cannot find the results, but feel sure that Brussels will prevail.

Although pre-1960 HGV did not fall into the category of those which offended the Eurocrats, from reading other forums it would seem that there is still a possibility of this concession being removed at a later date.

I cannot find any reference to buses being exempt, however if sufficient alterations to equipment and use are made, than a bus becomes an HGV and it would follow that if pre-1960 it may be exempt from test.

Just as an aside - those of you who fancy hanging on to your reg. no. if and when you part with your vehicle should be aware that they cannot be transferred from vehicles which are not subject to MoT tests - vehicles like fire engines, milk floats, agricultural tractors and, or fourse, vehicle recovery lorries.

My bus number (if any): rm1001

Now that is strange because the two VK vehicles I mentioned above have both had number plate changes (on and off to another vehicle) and they are both MOT exempt.

Hi David, Yes we keep a record of all exam and repair work we do on the vehicle which is all workshop based. We are actually going to put her through a pre-MOT exam with our local testing station to see if there are any glaring problems...not found any yet.

It took some explaining with the DVLA to retain her exemption, but it was agreed as she is a recovery vehicle.

My bus number (if any): RM308 & RM66 (group)