ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engines and Emissions

Hello all.
Does anyone know what emission standards the leyland engine from an RML meets, if any? Will the fitting of a Particle Filter meet a Reduced Pollution Certificate for instance? I need to meet Euro 1 standards or equivilant. Any help much appreciated.

Re: Engines and Emissions

There are no Leyland engined RMLs. They were all AEC and almost all are now converted to either Cummins, Iveco or Scania. The Scania is capable of cable of achieving the reduced pollution certificate, check the South Devon Railway website for how they achieved it with theirs.
Check if the standard needs to be actually met, due to the age of the vehicle it is likely to be exempt.
AFAIK, the only "standard" was that there should be no excessive smoke.

My bus number (if any): RM531

Not quite Steve, there certainly was a Leyland engined RML, it was fitted with it prior to entering service in 1966. Originally it was RML 2368 and then RML 2297 and later RML 2295. The Leyland engine was replaced with a an AEC engine in 1986 before conversion to a Cummins engine, but as you say, there are currently no Leyland engined RMLs, the confusion might be because some log books call the RM "Leyland AEC". You can certainly go in the LEZ with an RM as they are exempt, but not sure about use commercially, but I sure somebody will be along soon that knows for sure.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

I've done further research into emissions. I'm trying to meet TFL standards which seem to be changing faster than I can keep a trace and they are due to change again in 2012! I'm aware that due to the age of these vehicles they are technically exempt, but not for commercial operations as pointed out above.

This leads to a whole new question. How difficult is it to convert this original type to a Cummins B series whilst still keeping the rest original? Also can anyone confirm the B series is Euro 2 standard?

My bus number (if any): RM1771

Now we can see why you thought you have an RML. You have a Leyland engined RM. Quite a few of the RMLs ( the 30ft version of the RM) were converted to Cummins B engines and retained the AEC gearbox, but whether the Cummins B meets the euro 2 or 3 standards I really don't know. The engine conversion does need some changes as the Aaron's cable was eliminated and also some rewiring as I am sure the alternator was repositioned, plus the introduction of "modern" equipment like oil and water warning lights! What might be an idea is to see if anyone who has an RM or RML with a Cummins engine wants to revert to an "original" so you can do a swap. Whatever you do, do not scrap the Leyland engine, there are always people looking for these.

Cummins B series engine is not able to be mated with the Wilson type gearbox, the fluid flywheel would not operate at the B engine idling speed. The gearbox would not be able to take the additional torque, and the higher engine speed. This is why the B series engine was mated to the Allison MT643 transmission. The combination is common being USA companies.
Mind you it would have been great to have a Cummins B engine fitted, and to have kept the Wilson box.

My bus number (if any): RML2335

Sorry Ed my mistake, the Metroline RMLs had a Cummins C engine with the Wilsons box. Our RML 2667 was configured like that. I don't think the Cummins C meets the LEZ emission standard though.

commercial operations
- I thought the LEZ and Euro requiments were only a issue if you wanted to apply for a LSP (London Service Permit) from TfL (Has it been renamed??)
Eg like: Oxford Tube, Premier Tours/BigBus Co etc

So Scheduled Services with timetables, and pickup points in the TfL area.

When I looked at this some time ago, they wanted to know what you would do to make your vehicles greener.
Eg: Euro levels, turning off vehicles at stands, policies.

If your doing private hire work on a opeator licence like weddings then they are exempt along with any other bus/coach/lorry etc built before 1973.

Tho is not the case? Or is it changing in 2012?

Adam

My bus number (if any): RML2366

Hi, Routemaster are exempt from LEZ for private hire operations as far as I understand or social/ leisure use (if that makes sense), however to operate under a LSP you must comply with Euro 1 minimum as part of Mayors strategy. Don't forget the rules are changing again in 2012 to minimum Euro 5 Engines for modern vehicles, but apparently some Euro 2/3 engines can get by with approved particle filters or collection devices whatever TFL are calling them.

To answer my own question from earlier. There is no way a Leyland or AEC can be modified to meet these standards.

My bus number (if any): RM1771

Barry,
it would be a shame to have to convert an 'original' to a more modern engine especially as Leylands are a bit thin on the ground . As mentioned a lot of rewiring will be needed as well plus the cost of engine ( and gearbox) . Mention was made of trying to swap with a RM/RML with a newer engine , I'm sure quite a few of us with refurbs would jump at the chance to have a more 'original' RM if the chance came along !!

Mark , RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

That's understandable. I can see its a major job plus it would be a shame to loose a more original bus. I've come to the conclusion to leave this one as is and persue other alternatives. Thanks for the input from everyone so far.