ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake fluid joint leak

Been asked if I can get the supply pipe or a new joint for a brake fluid pipe. Its the one that goes from the tank, bends round the accumulator to the joint at the accumulator. The joint is leaking. They have tried tightening the nut but still leaking a little bit.
To see the pipe I mean go to the South Devon site which is now here:
http://www.rm1872.org.uk/Brakes.html
Its the shiny metal pipe shown in the picture entitled "Note connections; two plain banjo bolts and one through banjo (where there's also a hose missing)".

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: Brake fluid joint leak

If it is leaking from the tube nut there is a strong possibility that the flare on the end of the pipe has cracked. In which case it is relatively straightforward to make up a new pipe in 'Kunifer' and to flare the ends. This is of course Imperial. Do not use pure copper pipe. Although the originals are stainless, trying to bend one to shape will be a challenge. If it is leaking from the banjo bolt then either renew the copper washers (which may be difficult to obtain) or replace with 'Dowty seals'. The banjo bolt has two different diameters so it needs a different size seal each end. If the faces of the banjo itself are not parallel any longer or scored than sealing will be difficult. Do not overtighten tube nuts.

Hi

What's a Dowty Seal please.

Claire

My bus number (if any): RML2330 etc

http://supaseal.co.uk/bondedseals.htm

http://www.malcleanse.co.uk/Dowty-Seals

Thanks Roy, I'll pass that on. If the joint has failed and the seals don't stop the leak, he will have to get a new pipe in the UK as its not possible to get non metric over here. Anyone know of a supplier in the UK if the seals don't work, or do they have to be made up from a pattern?

Brian,
Please pass on that it is vital to ensure that the pipe flare has not cracked. It must be absoultely clear from where the fluid is leaking; the result of a cracked pipe would be brake failure. A sudden leak appearing is probably more likely to be the pipe rather than a washer.

Dowty seals ought to be available worldwide. I am not sure of the sizes you need. Take banjo bolt as a pattern. One seal must be a snug fit on the shoulder and the other snug on the thread. If one is BSP then it may be a problem in France.

Roy, thanks again, I just got a message to say they have tightened a 1/4 turn and the leak has stopped, so hopefully problem solved but I will pass on the advice about inspecting the pipe and joint.

Can't really add anything else to what Roy has said. Ofcourse you must never drive your Routemaster with even the slightest of leaks from the braking system

My bus number (if any): MD 60 MD 99 Hull 411