ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possible rally venue

I was talking today with the group visits co-ordinator of the Heritage Motor Museum at Gaydon north of Banbury. For those unfamiliar with the place, it`s a vast site partly on a former wartime bomber base. As well as a huge modern exhibition hall to display the foremost collection of British built cars, they also have plenty of hard-standing around the main building and beyond which is used on many weekends through each Summer for all sorts of classic car gatherings. Sometimes hundreds of vehicles attend as the place is big enough. Similar events involving commercial vehicles feature less often but this is something they may be keen to explore and expand.

Advantages include a geographically central location with easy access just off Junction 12 of the M40, no overhead obstructions to or from and on site, parking on tarmac / concrete plus a great museum with the obvious facilities such as toilets and cafeteria.

Their events programme is set for this year but if it appeared to find favour as a potential rally point they could well be keen to have a bus gathering day / weekend in 2012.

How many bus owners would consider this as a possible worthwhile inclusion in a rally calendar?

Re: Possible rally venue

Went to the 50th anniversary do for the Mini there, excellent venue and also has conference facilities and an indoor hall for trade stalls etc.

Re: Possible rally venue

Sounds a good idea . Routemaster association had a 'joint' rally there 5 or 6 years ago with a decent turn out of RM's on a very busy day .
I'd be interested any idea of a date ?
Mark RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391