ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Route palnning in the UK (avioding low bridges)

Can anyone offer any advice on best road maps or sources of infomation with regard to planning journeys within the UK, specifically for locating and and avioding low bridges.

Thanks Mitch

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

Re: Route palnning in the UK (avioding low bridges)

A truckers atlas is a good investment , they show the low bridges and weight restriction etc . If you've a lot of dosh to spend try one of the up market sat navs where you can program the size of the vehicle into the sat nav

mark RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391 , United Counties 157

Re: Route planning planning in the UK (avoiding low bridges)

Michelin maps show all bridges under 4.5 metres. If its not marked its OK!! Sticking to D/D bus routes is also a good idea, however its not necessarily the bridges you need to worry about its the low branches on trees on a lot of roads that now have single deck buses.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Guys.

Many thanks, this is a great help.

Cheers Mitch

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

I got a low bridges program for my Tom Tom. Takes a bit to install it, as you have to set each height with a warning sound of your choice, but I'm guessing its worth it. You can get it on a site called LowBridges It is reasonably priced at £9.95.

I can't vouch for its total accuracy, and would just use it as a backup to keeping an eye peeled.

Side note: I had to fit a 24 to 12 volt converter, so I can plug the SatNav in.

If anyone plans to be in London on Saturday Afternoon (March 26th) between 1:30 and 3:30, our bus will be on Trafalgar Square. Come by and say hello.

My bus number (if any): RCL 2259