ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Guidence on basic Servicing & Mainenance issues of my RMC

Hi Folks.

I am looking for a bit of guidance and advice.

As the new proud guardian of RMC 1462 I want to ensure I look after him well and ensure best possible care. One of my 1st tasks for 1462 is to give him a good service, as I am not sure when he last had one, especially with regards to all its lubricants and greasing.

In a previous life I was a marine and aircraft engineer, so I am quite happy maintaining and servicing heavy plant machinery. I am busy working my way through the RM maintenance manual, planning my approach. However I am not yet fully familiar with routemasters and their individual characteristics they may have.

With this I have many questions, many quite basic, I would be grateful if someone can guide me if they can( I hope I don’t send too many people to sleep with the amount of questions to come!!!).
1. Is there a particular servicing schedule that I can get access too? I have Lubrication Chart from the RMA giving frequency, is this the main schedule used in conjunction with the RM maintenance manual or is there a specific more in depth schedule about? If so how can I access it?

2. Is there a main supplier that everyone uses/trusts for all lubricants, grease, if so who do people recommend or is a case of your local automotive dealers?

3. Are there certain manufacturers of oils that, the routemaster community regarded as the recommended brand for routemasters? Or does everyone just ensure they have the correct grade irrespective of manufacturer?

4. Oil and fuel filters – (RMC 1462 – still has an AEC engine fitted), again is there a main retailer that I can use/that people can recommend for these parts?

5. Fluid flywheel, gear box, rear diff, steering box, power assisted steering, braking systems etc, etc – are there any good guides/local knowledge on correct levels etc and do’s/don’ts with replenishments that the RM manual does not cover??

6. With the fact that 1462 will probably be only used about 4/5 times per month – there is the question of the disuse factor, which in my previous experience in other forms of engineering/maintenance is more of a problem than with over use. Are there any specific areas I should be addressing on 1462 due to the fact it will be static for much of each month?

7. My RMC’s rear air suspension. Are there any specific maintenance areas I need to address here as it is not covered in the RM manual as far as I can see?

I do not have full facilities for all aspect of a full service and maintenance, but I do wish to keep on top of my basic lubs and greases and day to day maintenance – so all experience offered will be warmly welcomed.

I am Reading based. For my major servicing/maintenance that I cannot deal with plus repairs, breakdowns etc. Who are the closest and would be recommended to take my RMC too?

One last question for those of you who have not fallen asleep yet, through this epic question time. I very much believe in preventative maintenance, does anyone have any guides on areas that normally require attention that fall outside what is covered within the RM maintenance manual.

Many thanks.

Mitch

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

Re: Guidence on basic Servicing & Mainenance issues of my RMC

First have a look at the information on the ROOF website, link is above, the lubricants are listed.Also look at the stuff about brake accumulators.
I see you have the RM maintenance manual is it the one from here? www.thermmanual.com/
All you will need for an AEC engined bus is there, plus there are the maintenance cards.
The rear suspension on the RMC can be problematical, you need to inspect the pipework, valves and bags for leaks, some of the RMCs and RCLs have been changed to coil springs due to deterioration of the air suspension equipment.

RMs were not maintained on a "preventative maintenance" basis, although tyres were inspected nightly. The buses were inspected every four weeks ( rota inspections) and depending on the rota number also had certain works undertaken like fluid level checks or changes plus any remedial work like brake shoe changes identified from the inspections. They had a full going over (bit like an MOT test) where everything mechanical, electrical and body was checked, including seat fastenings, handrails, mounting bolts etc etc every 32 and 64 weeks, but that was after doing a lot of miles.
There is no short answer to non use. RMs are not designed for occasional use. We disconnect the batteries and seal off the platform as best we can even though our buses are inside. Ensure you have anti-freeze or drain the bus in winter.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

There is good guidance from the Walker manual (which could do with a major update) but a simpler more basic manual would be useful as well.

The real problem is the one you highlighted, that is of non or low use. It does throw up a myriad of problems that were very rare in daily use and these do seem to be manifesting themselves from the problems that many owners are now writing about.
There have been several good accounts of ways of minimising or preventing low use vehicles from deterioating in several ways on both this site and the 'other side'.

So you are not alone but certainly one of the few who have considered this at the start.

Good Luck
John

The Walkers Manual for original condition RMs is word for word the same as LT's RM Maintenance Manual. What Manual is that asks Jack? The one my brother says the Day Foreman and GEM had in their bookcases and the BMs and Unit Adjusters as were, who did the work, never ever saw!! Mind you they did undertake a 10 week course before being let lose on buses and had lots of knowledgeable colleagues to show them the tricks of the trade, so looking at a Manual was not really that necessary.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi James.

My full name is Alun Mitchell, but everyone knows me as Mitch.

Cheers Mitch

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

Hi Mitch

I can only add after reading the posts so far, that Ward Jones at High Wycombe would be a good guy to get to know and works on AEC engined LT type buses and coaches. With reference to the kind of usage you have mentioned for the vehicle, it is probably more than a lot of preserved Routemasters get anyway. However I used to go to mine about once every fortnight to start it up, then go through the gears and move it backwards and forwards a few times. Ideally use it as much as possible, because as with all vehicles they will keep in much better condition if they are used regularly.

Ed