ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Removing the security system from your bus

Hello All

I have been asked for details of how to remove the Routemaster security system fitted by LBL in 1993 and thought I would share the results with you. I have used the drawings I had when I fitted these 18 years ago. Other modifications may have occurred that affected wiring colours or connections so I cannot guarantee the accuracy of my description. If you are in the slightest bit unsure then do not do it. Employ a knowledgeable electrician to do it (I am available for a reasonable fee). I am not responsible if you break your bus!

Each Engine type differs so three versions will follow.

Hope someone finds it useful. Please let me know if it works!

I should say that these security units were quite good and if you want yours to work I have all the information and spare parts you will ever need including by pass plugs if you simply want to temporarily disable it but keep it for future use

David

PS can also do Metrobus, Titan, Dart, Mercedes, etc if anyone needs the info.

The word existing is used to describe a wire that was on the bus before the security mod was done and is to differentiate between wires that need to stay and those you will be removing

AEC Engine (around 300 buses modified)

Isolate Battery
Remove Side light switch cover
Remove plain cover

If the security panel is still in circuit unplug the white nylon 10 way connector (this is sited behind the side light switch panel. If you have already disconnected and bypassed the system with a plastic bypass plug that bit is already done).

The remaining wiring harness comprises 10 wires in a length of sleeving. You will need to follow each one to ensure you are cutting or disconnecting the correct wires.

1. Disconnect the Slate (grey) wire that is joined to an existing red wire (this red goes to the assault siren and may be a part of a 2 core cable)
2. Disconnect the Blue that also connects to an existing red. (This red is from the assault alarm switch and will probably be in the same place as item 1 as it is also a part of the siren wiring). The two red ends then need joining together. This will re-instate the siren if it is required. It is possible that the grey and blue wires were extended using a 2 core red and black cable. In this instance disconnect as stated and join the red and black together OR trace it to it’s origin and remove it joining together the two wires it was connected to.
3. Disconnect the black from terminal D in the Cab Header panel.
4. Disconnect the pink wire from terminal C3.
5. Disconnect the purple wire from the existing wire (this wire would originally have had a marker C3). Connect that existing wire to terminal C3.
6. Disconnect the orange and green wires from terminal B.
7. Disconnect the white wire from terminal C.
8. Disconnect the Brown wire from terminal H
9. Disconnect the red wire from the existing wire (this wire would originally have had a marker H). Connect that existing wire to terminal H.
10. Finally cut the wires to the small military socket and remove all redundant parts.

Around 500 Cummins and Iveco engine buses were modified

Cummins Engine

Isolate Battery
Remove Starter Switch cover

If the security panel is still in circuit unplug the white nylon 10 way connector (this is sited behind the side light switch panel. If you have already disconnected and bypassed the system with a plastic bypass plug that bit is already done).

The remaining wiring harness comprises 10 wires in a length of sleeving. You will need to follow each one to ensure you are cutting or disconnecting the correct wires.

1. Disconnect the Slate (grey) wire that is joined to an existing red wire (this red goes to the assault siren and may be a part of a 2 core cable)
2. Disconnect the Blue that also connects to an existing red. (This red is from the assault alarm switch and will probably be in the same place as item 1 as it is also a part of the siren wiring). The two red ends then need joining together. This will re-instate the siren if it is required.
4. Disconnect the orange wire at the starter switch main terminal (it shares the terminal with an existing green wire). Remove the piggy back connector if fitted. Ensure the existing green wire remains connected. If the two wires are in one crimped connector remove it and fit a new crimped connector to the green.
5. Disconnect the Red wire from the starter switch start terminal.
6. Disconnect the Brown wire from the existing red wire. Fit a new push on terminal to the existing red wire and connect it to the starter switch start terminal.
7. Disconnect the green wire from the starter switch run terminal.
8. Disconnect the pink, white and purple wires that are connected to 3 existing green wires. These all need to connect to the starter switch run terminal.
9. Finally cut the wires to the small military socket and remove all redundant parts.

Iveco Engine

Isolate Battery
Remove Starter Switch cover

The remaining wiring harness comprises 10 wires in a length of sleeving, one of which (the pink) is not connected to anything. You will need to follow each one to ensure you are cutting or disconnecting the correct wires.

2. Disconnect the Blue that also connects to an existing red. (This red is from the assault alarm switch and will probably be in the same place as item 1 as it is also a part of the siren wiring). The two red ends then need joining together. This will re-instate the siren if it is required.
4. Disconnect the orange wire at the starter switch main terminal (it shares the terminal with an existing blue wire). Remove the piggy back connector if fitted. Ensure the existing blue wire remains connected. If the two wires are in one crimped connector remove it and fit a new crimped connector to the blue.
5. Disconnect the Purple wire from the starter switch stop terminal. (it shares the terminal with an existing yellow wire). Remove the piggy back connector if fitted. Ensure the existing yellow wire remains connected. If the two wires are in one crimped connector remove it and fit a new crimped connector to the yellow.
6. Disconnect the Red wire from the starter switch start terminal.
7. Disconnect the Brown wire from the existing brown wire. Fit a new push on terminal to the existing brown wire and connect it to the starter switch start terminal.
8. Disconnect the green wire from the starter switch run terminal.
9. Disconnect the white wire that is connected to 3 existing wires (at least one of these is red). These all need to connect to the starter switch run terminal.
10. Finally cut the wires to the small military socket and remove all redundant parts.

My bus number (if any): M1001 RML2276 T806

Re: Removing the security system from your bus

Im no expert on wireing but when it came to removeing the security system out of rml 2613 it was an easy task to do, so if anyone out there is a bit hesitent in removeing their security system from their rml dont be put off when you see all the wireing you cant go wrong if you take your time then you cant go wrong.

My bus number (if any): 2613