ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Worlds worst conversion?

Is this the worlds worst routemaster conversion? (last pic on page 3)

http://www.bigpinkbustour.com/photo-gallery/?nggpage=3

Look closely...something isn't right around the A frame...it isn't there. and the back wheels...something has gone on there too. Something tells me that this is actually a LHD bus or coach chassis with the RML body plonked on top. Saved from scrap, to ride again, or a ruined classic? You decide

My bus number (if any): RM531

Re: Worlds worst conversion?

This page has some more pics:

http://chicisimo.com/fashion/outfit/pink-bus-in-new-york/

and reveals the reg plate to be JJD496D

Ian's Bus Stop lists RML2496 as in store with Stagecoach East Midlands five years ago.

Phil.

Its certainly been re-engined,and the driving position changed to a central one, but not convinced it is an RML body on a different chassis. It has similarities with that RML that a Scottish company tried to do a front rebuild on and that also looked awful.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

If you look up on the destination area at the front, it says "Perfect Body Co.". This company makes those awful 'trolley' (supposedly built to look like San Fransisco street cars) things that drive around Disney World, New Orleans and Gettysburg etc., with tourists on board.

They don't have a website (that I can find) but here's what their business model says from 'manta.com':

Perfect Body & Fender CO in North Bergen, NJ is a private company categorized under Truck Bodies-Repair. Our records show it was established in 1945 and incorporated in New Jersey. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $2.5 to 5 million and employs a staff of approximately 20 to 49. Companies like Perfect Body & Fender CO usually offer: Rent A Bus, School Buses, Shuttle Buses, Trolley Bus and Art Bus.

I'll see if I can find any more info.

My bus number (if any): RLH62

Apparently the RML body (or what's left of it) is now mounted upon a Freightliner school bus chassis

Yes I saw that Jim, but then it was suggested it was possibly another type of chassis. However, as we all know the centre of the RMs body forms the centre of the chassis and the RM does not have a chassis as such, maybe its the front and rear axle parts of a chassis that have been used and not a simple plonk on of an RML body.

If someone got me the registration number I have the technology to find out exactly what's under it!

Its now been re-stated by Maurice Bateman as being a freightline chassis conjecture is now about the radiator, I think it might have come from an abandoned RTLD project myself Jim!! Only reg in the pictures is the LT one of JJD 496D, not sure if that is legal or not though.