ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
?? New Oil for RM gearboxes - Multitrans BC

Hi Folks.

Using the correct oil for RM gearboxes! Multitrans BC could this be the correct oil to use??

After endeavouring to sort all my oils out to service my RMC, I had the same problem that other people appears to have had in the past, in that the original gearbox oil Shell SB2152 is no longer available.

So after talking to other RM owners and reviewing the historical correspondence on ROOF and other forums it appears that there appears to be some difference of opinions on the best alternative for gearbox oils. Is it straight 30 we should use or 15W40, or dextrone II, etc. Plus all the reasons that seem to be given for using these oils is that it appears to be “cheaper” or “well it seems to work”. No were in all the data I have looked at does anyone appear to have looked into does the technical spec of the oils conform to what should be used for our gearboxes, which I find frustrating when we have such ageing and valuable bits of kit that we cannot afford to, not to look after in the best possible way.

So I went to Morris lubrications technical department and had a chat with them to try and find out if they could find a suitable oil that conforms to the spec of RM gear boxes (meeting the Leyland Specification ‘E’, as described in the RM manual).

They have came up with a oil that they feel fits all the criteria for the type of boxes RM’s have and conform to the Leyland specification ‘E’, which is “Multitrans BC” and looking at the data it does appear to fit the bill???

Has anyone used this oil in the past for their gearboxes, if so do they have any feedback for it. Plus is their specific scientific backed data out there that I have not come across on any other oils that people use?

If you go to this link below
http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/Downloads/Multitrans%20BC%20TDS%20110%20Iss%204.pdf

it should take you to the technical data sheet on this oil and give its full spec.

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback on this oil I would appreciate it.

Regards.
Mitch

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

Re: ?? New Oil for RM gearboxes - Multitrans BC

Hi Mitch,

I have researched this quite a lot. Originally as you know a straight 30 was used, you can still get a straight 30 oil which is basically an old fashioned engine oil.

Queensbridge who are the main reconditioners of these gearboxes recommend you should use an ATF or a Dextron II. ATF is not so easily available now as Dextron II does the same job. A lot of the modern oils are actually too good, the gearbox is a very simple box, it has no pressure systems, no valves etc which require the better oils which they run in modern boxes.

I generally find that buses that ran up to 2004/5 have the red oil which would be Dextron II equivalent and the ones that came out of service years ago have the brown oil which would be the equivalent of the 30. Whenever I am working on customers vehicles I use either a 30 or Dextron II depending which oil is already in there. Not a good idea to mix the oils.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is a 30 or a Dextron II depending on what you have in your gearbox is suitable.

Regards,
Martin

Photobucket

My bus number (if any): RM:2583 and RM1357

Hi Mitch,
Good to revisit this area again , would be useful if other owners could post their thoughts again on this . There are several ideas on this as you've found .
Morris is a good company supplying oils for many years and a very good understanding of the heritage movement and oils they need , they have suggested the use of multitrans BC for a long time now. Somewhile back there was a list of oils suggested for RM 's with the idea of a making up a list of oils required and using the minimum of different types to make it easier . Have to try and find it again !
My understanding is that the London bus companies used a straight engine oil in their RM gearboxes , this may be adequate for the purpose but I don't know if its been proved that it is ok for the gbox or whether its just the case thats its easier and CHEAPER to use engine oil ?? In regular service the gearbox wouldn't get cold and the oil would be warm and nice and thin to move about . I'm not convinced that with a preserved bus that moves infrequently that the use of engine oil is the best choice . When cold the engine oil will be thicker and will this do the job properly or will the gearbox be suffering from wear and tear sooner ?
I would think the use of the multitrans would be the best bet as its thinner and designed for the job , but again can anyone confirm this ? Why would the official manuals suggest the original shell oil if engine oil is just as good ?
At the moment I use Morris oils ringfree engine oil for the engine and mulitrans bc in the gearbox.
Perhaps others can add their thoughts on oils.

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391,UCOC 157

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated.

This bit is for another day but - If some of the origanal oils are not available now days as I am starting to find out, which is understandable, considering the age of the vehicles it would be nice if the RM manual was amended, with a qualified recomended alternative oils. Rather than everyone one using different standards - I don't know who to talk to on this? Is there any one who does this?

Anyway thanks for input guys. Any other info always appreciated.

Cheers Mitch

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

Mitch

When I first acquired 2335 I got in touch with my local oil supplier Tincknell Fuels ( Shell ) they checked the spec and came up with Shell Turbo T32 for the gearbox.

look on the ROOF website and follow this link
http://www.rmoof.co.uk/Lubricants%20for%20your%20RM.htm
Might find some of them unobtainable now but I would think there are alternatives from morris .
The main point to note is 4 different types of oil.

Also found some notes in the routemaster association compendium which states the following :

"Gearbox oils for the RM need to be very thin and are of the order of 5-10 % viscosity being classified as a light turbine oil . In London Transport terms called Bus epicyclic gearbox oil which most oil companies market under one their own brand names"
This is why I would question the use of straight engine oil in the gearbox even though some of the ex LT companies did use this .
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391,UCOC 157

Hi.....I use Dextron II ; a high quality auto transmission oil rated I believe SAE 9. Dextron is used in modern auto transmission boxes on coaches etc. Ian.

My bus number (if any): rm446 rm765