ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breakdowns

I thought that it would be a good idea if I listed all the breakdowns that I have had over the years, and if others do the same, we can see if there is a pattern regarding spares we should carry.
'Touch Wood' I have never had a puncture on any of my buses, always use to carry a spare, but not this days. (Only when we go to France)

1 Cloth fuel filter blocked, fixed by side of the road.
2 RM1797, broke a front spring in France.
3 BEA1 broke down on the M25 as we were collecting it, that was a DPA pump problem. Bus recovered home, recon pump fitted.
4 RM1797 air leak in France, took valve to bits, cleaned it up, all ok.
5 RML2261, lost a tooth on the Diff, made it home ok, fitted recon diff.

And that’s about it, but I only do about a 1000 miles a year, I used to do loads more with the RT, with no trouble.
What are other people's experiences?

Regards

Rob

ps
Never had any problems with the Quill Drive.

My bus number (if any): RM13

Re: Breakdowns

Quite similar problems Rob but none with RMs. We had a spate of tyre problems including one rear outside tyre that exploded and took out the wing. Fuel starvation has been a problem with one particular bus, it ran OK for weeks then just failed, we cleaned out the fuel filters and lift pump, all OK then failed again, then changed the fuel tank, fortunately with RTs you can fill up the header tank to get to a garage.

Most serious failure was a main airline break, the pipe got hit by debris on the road and that took out the brakes fortunately it was on a motorway so a handbrake stop was possible, only other problem was a starter motor failure and that is over 6 years and thousands of miles, neither current RM has given any problem, but they don't get used that much, the only real problems with RMs was with the ex Metroline RML we had alternator problems with it and no 2nd gear but that again turned out to be due to damage to an air pipe by debris flying up under the gearbox, the new owners have also had compressor problems post sale which I think reinforces what Jack was saying about some buses receiving less and less maintenance in the run-in to withdrawal.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

RML2391 managed to burst the cab heater hose on the way home from Duxford , managed to get near Bedford before calling the brakedown service out . Unfortunately didn't have the right size hose on board but did have it all stripped down ready when the breakdown van arrived so I was on my way again fairly quickly . I would imagine the cab heater pipes were very old and doubt they were changed when the bus was refurbed as no changes were made in this area- other owners note !
Only other problem of late has been a very noticeable rumbling and vibration coming from the gearbox . This problem has suddenly disapeared after I went underneath removed the compressor/brake belts to check/rule out these items . After putting the belts back on the rumbling and vibration has stopped . Hopefully it won't return.... ! 2391 had a 20 mile run afterwards with no more noise .
mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391/UCOC 157

"TOUCH WOOD"!!!! The only problems have been related to the air system with failing reducer and regulator valves, and a flat inside O/S rear tyre.

My bus number (if any): RM531

Breakdowns

No 6 injector pipe. four times! Different injectors, different fuel pumps and on two occasions the pipes were securely clamped. Always carry a spare. new pipes (straight & easily bent to shape are £12)

Lift pump

Starter motor

Burst brake pipe

Burst power steering pipe

Failed voltage regulator (blew all lights & auto transmission panel) .... and the bypass plug didn't work! Unable to hotwire gears, recovery needed.

broken Quill drive

I like Rigton for recovery insurance with Chaucer. £80 a year and unlimited cover, not just first £1000.00

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471, 2213 and GS17

Fuel starvation due to the tank being empty. Wasn't able to get the fuel lines clean enough at the side of the road for the engine to run smoothly, so it was a drag home.

Gearbox air pressure issues. I always carry a blanking plug to override the air-pressure sensor.

Coolant issues. I always carry a couple of liters of water/anti-freeze just in case the water supply needs topping up.

My bus number (if any): RML2644

Same as Mark - cab heater hose exploded in spectacular fashion covering feet in hot water - Disconnected hoses either side of heater and jammed screwdrivers down each pipe end and tightened hose onto handles with jubilee clips - watch your legs sticking out in to the road with passing traffic ! - intermittent loss of reverse gear - fitted bypass plug to get home - cleaned EP valve unit contacts 'seems' OK now.....

My bus number (if any): RML 2747 & Ex Gash DD6