ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paint code and supplier for RM interior ceiling.

Hi,

I'm after a paint code and supplier for the interior ceiling of an RM (Sung Yellow).

I haver tried contacting ATA Ltd and they were unable to match the name or the FLT code. I have also tried contacting Williamson who were also unable to help.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: Paint code and supplier for RM interior ceiling.

http://www.hmgpaint.com/

1K Synthetic Fleet Enamel SAH300

my tin has the BS 4800 colour 10-E-50 SUN YELLOW

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471, 2213 and GS17

Hi Chris,

I had a look at the BS paint charts today and 10-E-50 looks to be light cream rather then the much deeper yellow that the ceilings were.

Any thoughts.

Tom

My ceilings look right and are a deeper yellow than light cream and the code on the HMG tin is as I posted.

It is what Busworks uses for the ceilings and is the same on all my RMs.

Sorry can't be more help. Chris

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471, 2213 and GS17

Hmmm,

AS my girlfriend pointed out to me, looking at a colour chart under artificial light is not the same as looking at a correct colour RM ceiling.
I didn't want to put any order for paint in until I had the seen the colour.
I'm just a little wary as I have made a costly mistake before. I was once given the wrong code from a well known bus dealers in a county outside London!
I will keep investigating a report back.

Cheers,
Tom

The RM ceiling panels,lighting panels and strap plates (and even set screws) were stove enamelled that is why they lasted so long and few ceilings were painted until the change in lower saloon colour was brought in. The same colour when stove enamelled will give a deeper and longer lasting colour than if brush painted. To see this try and find photos of RMLs with white L/S ceilings compared with RMs that were hand painted. Over time there are few if any original stove enamelled ceilings left and the hand paint used does give a slightly lighter appearance than the original stove paint. One downside of using brush paint to touch up U/S saloon ceilings and accident repairs was with smoking upstairs it very quickly browned and so accident damage replacement panels and strap plates were also fitted pre-painted wherever possible.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Try Avenue Coatings 01753 686888. they done me some sung Yellow 2 years ago. I had some many years back and luckily they still had the formulation on file.

My bus number (if any): RML2532