ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rexine

Rexine.

I'm looking for information about peoples experiences regarding the purchasing and applying of Rexine.

Through searching I have found two possible suppliers, F.J. Ratchford and J. Hewit & Sons Ltd. Can anyone recommend either of these?

I plan to restore the Rexine to my RML. Does anybody know what would be a sufficient quantity? I have read that the material for the blind box and front bulkhead is not Rexine but something different. Can anybody clarify what this is?

Lastly, what is a good adhesive to use? I will speak to the suppliers in this one to get advice regarding this also. Really interested to know what peoples experiences are regarding this.

Many thanks,
Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: Rexine

I used Ratchford's to get brown rexine for use in RLH62. they were quick and very thorough in their service. Product was delivered to me in the US within a week and they remembered not to charge me VAT! The Rexine is good quality and is very near to original LT stuff.

My bus number (if any): RLH62

hi tom it will take me forever to write all i could say about putting rexine on the side walls i've also used some original stuff to match it up with and have the part number for ratchfords stuff which is spot on apart from lacking the correct smell which i'm told is due to the use of a synthetic backing now used but rest assured it looks identical.feel free to call me on 07881897945.kind regards tim.

My bus number (if any): rm 2023 rm2097 & rml2388

Remove all old rexine/glue, clean panel. LT used white bostik and brushed it on, but now you can use a spay adhesive, like the one used for fitting doverite or like this http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p6050/500MM-SPRAY-GLUE/product_info.html

Cut leathercloth to size, apply glue to leathercloth, leave. Spray glue onto stress panel, wait until tacky NB OR read instructions as some glues need the cloth to be applied directly), apply leathercloth, smooth out with stiff brush to remove creases, just like applying wallpaper. LT patched the side panels between seats, cutting vertically in a diagonal line where the seat squab would go. Just remove waist moulding and rivets in coving panels tuck down below covings, refit moulding and covings et voila!!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Many thanks for your replies. Thanks also to Tim for his help and advice.

I have a code for Ratchfords which is RX15 MN5. Can someone just confirm that this is the right match for Rexine.

Also, can anyone recommend a good spray adhesive?

Many thanks,
Tom

3M Auto adhesive spray. Mould resistant, waterproof and allows for repositioning.
Used by most retrimmers

Many thanks Jack and everyone.

I bought some 3M Scotch-Weld 80 and 90 to experiment with today. Also been having a good look at the Ratchford website.

http://www.ratchford.co.uk/ShowItemList.asp?mainCat=Leathercloth&subcat=X+15+Quality

X15 / MN5/ 935

I let you all know how I get on in due course.

Ratchfords are good for supply. I recently bought some brown for GS67.

As for adhesive, you'll find you will need a very high temperature glue as the temp inside a bus can reach 150c (yes, true) on hot days and the adhesive will melt. I use a high temp adhesive, forget what it's called, from a supplier in Andover. It's not spray-on, but I've not had any adhesive failures yet.

The commercial spray cans of impact adhesive will fail within a couple of years.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Well, a start has been made.

A large roll of material arrived yesterday from Ratchfords. I have spent this evening rapping a few short length's of beading to see what would happen.

I tried using 3M Scotch Weld 80 and 90. I found that 90 was slightly easier to use then 80 although both seem to glue well. Its all drying as I type.

P.s
As a friend of mine discovered, don't mention anything about Routemasters or buses to Ratchfords. They won't have a clue what you are on about!!

one tip:

Look closely at the grain of the rexine and remember which way you are working with it. When you butt up a section, if it is cut and upside down or 90degrees out it will show.
So it needs to be continuous.

If you apply the same method as a dressmakers or tailors pattern then you will get the best use of the roll with minimal wastage but you will have to be careful with the grain run all the same.

That's brilliant.

Many thanks Jack.

Hello Tom
It has been 5 years since you used 3M Scotch weld 90 adhesive - did you use it to stick rexine and if so has it lasted - did it do its job and keep everything stuck together. I am now looking for a suitable adhesive to stick rexine to panels but I only want to have to do the job once!

Regards

Richard

Hi,

3M Scotch weld 90 adhesive was what I have used for the whole bus and I have not had anything move or come unstuck.

The only panels which has lifted were the curved panels in the upper deck rear roof but I got those done by somebody else and I have no idea what adhesive was used.

Any other needed information just drop me an email.

Regards

Tom.