ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bendys for Malta

While not RM realated - the Bendys did replace them on some high profile routes - the Malta Times link does provide an insight into the subject from Malta's view and several other related stories are of interest, partucularly the retired driver's story. Personally, having relatives from Malta I think that not keeping some of the old buses on tourist routes is very shortsighted as tourism is their main export -although there are several sightseeing open toppers including the ex. Big Bus RMF - maybe the powers that be thinks that will suffice ?
Sadly the sunshine livery will give way to Arriva corporate turqouise and stone livery in July.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20070409/local/owners-query-plans-for-bendy-buses.20910

My bus number (if any): RML 2747 & Ex Gash DD6

Re: Bendys for Malta

I have many friends in Malta. Sadly, the overriding view is that the introduction of modern buses which the elderly, pregnant etc can access is long overdue....as for those younger people who are not now car owners, which has rocketed in recent years, they seem pleased that at last they can now look forward to hearing their cellphone conversations while on a modern air conditioned bus.
Tourists will not agree, and many Maltese are also now beginning to ask questions. My enthusiast friend visited last month....his findings were that many Maltese simply don't know that they are imminently going to loose their historic buses. But then, how many British people know that the majority of Blackpools equally historic trams will also soon be gone????

My bus number (if any): RM531

Re: Bendys for Malta

Very true Steve, it is inevitable as Malta is now part of the EU and it's red tape trappings - I'm not not against modernising the fleet for the Maltese people, just that they seem so determined to do it that the tourist potential to retain some of the old gems seems to have been overlooked and possible regretted in the future ?

The current King Longs have Chinese spec seating spacing which isn't at all suitable for the population never mind the larger tourist with longer legs !

Let's hope Arriva have ordered the new ones with a more generous seating spec!

Can't help thinking that the Bendys are only there because no one knows what else to do with a large quantity of unwanted right hand drive examples !

Time will tell how successful they are -famous Maltese engineering skills will no doubt sort out the engine fire problems as they did the London Swift mechanical issues.

My bus number (if any): RML 2747 & Ex Gash DD6