ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Early RML destroyed in fire

One of the early batch of 24 RML's was destroyed in a fire on Saturday night

http://www.inverclydenow.com/index.php/news/local/4925-buses-destroyed-in-deliberate-blaze

I believe that is the first of this btach to be lost, a real shame.

Steve

Re: Early RML destroyed in fire

Yet another RM destroyed in an arson attack by mindless idiots. A crying shame.

My bus number (if any): RM531

Devastating

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 & 2213. GS 17

It is believed that it was RML891 that has been destroyed and that RML2358 has survived undamaged along with RML2432 and 2697 which can be seen in the background.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Andrew Morgan
It is believed that it was RML891 that has been destroyed and that RML2358 has survived undamaged along with RML2432 and 2697 which can be seen in the background.

Billy Thomson of Scottish Travel reported that RML2697 suffered a broken window but no other damage Andrew.

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner) RML2600 (Driver)

Just started back after holidays, the good news is that 891 was in the paintshop and survived, unfortunately 2358 was lost in the arson attack. More good news is that 2432 will be pressed back into service 21 tomorrow(wed.)

This, I fear, is the thin end of the wedge. Our UK, Eire and Spanish haulage businesses and many of our competitors are experiencing a wave of crime that many old hands have said to never experienced before. Fuel, tyres, components, wheels and even wheel nuts and brake parts have vanished from vehicles at both base locations and on the road.

A few times, these people have been caught, but shortly after, the company involved suffered an arson attack and several staff members cars were vandalised at their homes. Coincidence? I fear not.

My feeling is these crimes are highly organised and gangs resilient enough to take out reprisals to instill fear into the staff to the point that they may turn a blind eye.
I also fear that too much info is coming from within the companies probably in the form of bribes or drugs.

What has displeased me is the fact that the authorities and the Police just do not seem to be on top of this stuff at all and in our meetings, the police seem to push the onus onto us, implying almost that it's our fault for operating expensive equipment!

Ironically, they are all over us like a rash if we have so much as a tyre failure or a lightbulb out.

We have a policy of safety first and have no problem with this aspect and have a proud 100% record to date, but I wish they would put the same kind of effort into preventing and apprehending these criminals.

None of this is helped by the relative anonimity of ebay sellers which provides a healthy outlet.

Not a god time.
As a footnote, 3 of 5 people we have apprehended in our depots have all been members of a certain UK/Irish minority, the other two from a Romanian gang.
But our feeling is that they are the pawns in a much bigger racket.

Beware and take every precaution you can

billy thomson
Just started back after holidays, the good news is that 891 was in the paintshop and survived, unfortunately 2358 was lost in the arson attack. More good news is that 2432 will be pressed back into service 21 tomorrow(wed.)

Are you sure this is acurate? I have seen a picture of 891 in service on the 18th June, so it would be surprising if 891 was in the paintshop.

My bus number (if any): RM308

I can assure you it was in paint shed on saturday night getting minor accident damage from saturday repaired, ready for service on sunday morning, because i put it there.

billy thomson
I can assure you it was in paint shed on saturday night getting minor accident damage from saturday repaired, ready for service on sunday morning, because i put it there.

Sorry Billy, i ddnt mean to imply otherwise.

Such a shame that this kind of thing has destroyed not only a Routemaster but 7 other vehicles and will seriously hurt the company financially. I hope that Glasgow City Tours recover from this dreadful act of vandalism.

Where my Routemaster is kept we have had to install alarms that go directly to South Wales police force in Swansea, such is the risk of this sort of form of act. The only good thing is that all the vehicles are inside and not parked outside therefore being a direct target.

My bus number (if any): RM308

RML 2697 has slight heat damage to the nearside panels and the drivers sliding cab window was broken also. It's in tonight for repair and i will have it tomorrow for a wedding to Loch Lomond. I had 2432 on service 21 today and all was ok with it. So that's a blessing