ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RMC interior restoration - advice required

Hi Folks,

I am looking in the very near future to start restoring the interior of my RMC back to near original as possible.

Therefore I am looking for assistance if I can please.

Does anyone have any photos of RMC interiors (upper and lower decks) that I can have so that I can ensure as much as possible I maintain and restore back to original features/detail as possible.

Also does anyone know the correct colour for the RMC ceilings/sidewalls with the RAL code?

I am going to Ratchfords for my Rexine – does anyone have the correct part number for the colour/type I need to order? Plus what is the best adhesive for the job?

Any input gratefully receipt.

Cheers Mitch
RMC1462

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

Re: RMC interior restoration - advice required

You'll have a hell of a job as that bus has bee re-roofed after some idiot I used to employ drove it under the 13' bridge in Latchmere Road Battersea some years ago.

You'll have to make new cove panels; find luggage rack parts, I still have the bell panel for upstairs, quite why I kept it I don't know. Ceiling is off-white, I forget the name at the moment.

You could use the lower saloon ceiling fittings as patterns, but you'll also need to make new contour brackets too. Light fittings are the same as modernised RF.

You'll also have to rewire it to accept the fluorescent tubes. Good luck! I have the wiring diagram somewhere.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hi Roy

Thanks for feedback

Yes I know it had been given a RM roof some years back after a having a hair cut from a low bridge, but it is nice to know a bit more on the history. I used to be a aircraft sheetmetal worker earlier in life, so I am quite happy making new pannels, I just need to get all my tooling sorted first.

The plan is just to look at other RMC that are still origanal, messure them up and get photos and all relevant details and fold and roll the new pannels over time. Try and get parts of the racking were I can and again manufacture the rest as required.

If you do have the wiring diagram somewere and is happy to let me have a copy I would be grateful. Also if you still have any origanal parts/pannels etc from when you had 1462 and are happy to let them go, then please let me know as I would be intrested.

With regard to the light fittings do you know were/who from I can access these?

Look forward to talking

Cheers Mitch

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

The Ken Blacker 'Routemaster' book vol 1 has got a couple of interior photos

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

The ceiling colour is magnolia, a BS colour.

As for the panels, use the lower saloon as patterns. You'll also need to make some stainless steel brackets for the luggage racks. ISTR chucking out some bits of rack netting recently, though they may still be around. If you want to come and get the panels I still have, you're welcome. Wiring diagrams are more difficult as they are table size LT copies, 4' x 3'!

Quite simple, a pair of wires from each inverter under the back seat to pairs of fluo tube fittings. all you need to worry about, I didn't modify anything else apart from fitting a radio/pa; the ariel is in the rear blind box, the cable runs round the curved beading to where the radio was fitted in the conductors box.

My bus number (if any): RML2532