ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RML 2561 destroyed for new M&Ms store, London

RML 2561 has been sold by its former owner, reportedly knowing that it was to be cut up to make a store display in the new M&Ms store in London. Plenty of discussion on this on "the other side", pics here-
http://www.moodiereport.com/document.php?
c_id=37&doc_id=27850

Such a waste. It is reported that the bus was intact, complete, in good condition and with MOT when it was chopped up.

My bus number (if any): RM531

Re: RML 2561 destroyed for new M&Ms store, London

I've been in town this week so called in to see this. It really is a waste. So much has been carved up. The roof has gone and everything from 18" behind the cab bulkhead apart from the platform and the rear of the bus has been chopped away. The engine is unsurprisingly gone so little of use for spare parts when they get bored with their clever little display.

I'm not usually against buses being converted for other uses and I do understand it is theirs to do with what they feel but in this instance i left the store with a nasty taste and it wasn't from their sweets.

I wonder what happened to the spare parts and was it a bus company that did the conversion?

My bus number (if any): T806 M1001 RML2276

I know this is an old subject, but I can answer the questions raised here.

As of today, I now own the panels that had the old London Transport logo on one side, from this bus.

The bus rain perfectly, up to the very moment it was converted. The interior was removed and stripped by the people who outfitted the store. Many of the parts were retained, but I can't confirm where they ended up.

I was told that the old light fittings and adverts were behind the strip lighting when it was pulled out.

For me it was a personal triumph to save the panels, which I hope to have on display at Cobham Spring Gathering 2014, if I have a stall.

david colin
I've been in town this week so called in to see this. It really is a waste. So much has been carved up. The roof has gone and everything from 18" behind the cab bulkhead apart from the platform and the rear of the bus has been chopped away. The engine is unsurprisingly gone so little of use for spare parts when they get bored with their clever little display.

I'm not usually against buses being converted for other uses and I do understand it is theirs to do with what they feel but in this instance i left the store with a nasty taste and it wasn't from their sweets.

I wonder what happened to the spare parts and was it a bus company that did the conversion?

I can now report that the interior and parts were sold to a preservationist.

The final parts to come into my possession, were the front and rear route blinds, still on their rollers, which I picked up two weeks ago.

My bus number (if any): My bus number: RML2561 (Well, at least the bits I managed to save!)