ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Platform, seat frames, etc ...paint colour.

Can anybody confirm if this is the correct paint for use around the platform and conductors locker?

HMG paints ..... F2613 Dark Burgundy

Is this also the same colour which was used on the seat frames?

Any other information is always appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: Platform, seat frames, etc ...paint colour.

I used RAL purpurot, but from 2 different supplies, both were different and not quite right.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

If its any help, the burgandy or maroon on the RMs is the same colour on the places where maroon is used. It can appear to be a different colour on some parts (like seat frames) were stove enamelled which gives them a deeper colour.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

I used paint code RAL3004 which looks o/k to me.Get an enamel sample from your local paint supplier to try first,see if it is o/k yourself first before committing to a large order.Interiors are usually something like 60% gloss.Like everything else its a matter of personal choice as everyone you talk to has their own ideas of what is right or "original",bearing in mind that in over 40 years of service and different paint manufacturers,suppliers,etc and types, what is "original" for your bus is open to varying opinions.

My bus number (if any): RML2551

Many thanks for the advice gents.

I have been doing a rolling restoration on the interior for a while now. There have been a few compromises along the way (for example rexine goes across the bulkheads when it shouldn't).

I'll go for the HMG code as a tester and see what it looks like. Failing that i'll try the other codes mentioned.

As a rough guide should the colour be lighter, darker or the same as the Rexine material (Ratchfords RX15 MN5).

Difficult to say as colour varies from one computer;s monitor to another. In theory if the Ratchfords X15 / MN5/ 935 if that is the one you meant is the right colour and the paint code given is correct you will have the right match. Rexine lightens with wear so new rexine will look darker than any existing. New interior mouldings showed up on overhauled buses (as did new sidewall covering, but only when the seats were out!). Somewhere on your bus, presuming it was repainted red, there must be some original maroon paint, look at the underneath of seat frames, lower panel on rear frame where it tucks behind the stairs, inside conductor's locker.
Don't get too hung up on 100% exact colours and shades as LT changed the shades from time to time as they went from supplier to supplier and most hand applied paints lighten with exposure to light. If you use the products and shades recommended above, I am sure your RML will look very nice and a credit to your hard work. Lets hope that you do not have our experience where having restored the interior of an RT to LT colours a client wanted all the brown rexine painted sky blue!!

My bus number (if any): r