ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front hub seals

I know that they don't usually give much trouble, but does anyone have any RM FRONT hub seals please? Bearing and seal companies are so far drawing a blank, everyone wantng to supply an internal lip seal and not an external one.

part number: W 50038743 R10.

Re: Front hub seals

I may have a supplier for these. I'm awaiting their reply. Hopefully know for tomorrow

david

My bus number (if any): M806 T2276 RML1001

Just had a lesson in seal technology. The internal lip seal is where the seal remains stationary in its housing and the shaft rotates within the seal. External is where the seal sits tight on the shaft and the whole assembly turns within the fixed housing.

The part number 50038743 is 5" overall diameter, 3 7/8" internal diameter and 7/16" thickness although I cannot equate that last dimension to the part number. The W and the R10 I am not sure about but presumably part of that determines it's an external lip seal.

The company that I am checking have a "phenomenal amount" of imperial sized internal seals but none in the external seal type because they are so rare.

They did say they could get a thousand made if we needed them but I assume there are only two used per bus and only need changing every 10 years (or thirty for the bus enthusiast)

Do we have a list of any other seals required. I will get prices and availability.

David

My bus number (if any): M806 T2276 RML1001

Hello Roy

I've found a company with stock. Well they have 2 anyway. They can however get more so I need some feedback as to how many are possibly needed. I assume two are needed per vehicle.

If I buy 2 the cost will be £39.00 each but clearly I need to have these for my own use.

So I can get 10 and they will be £34.22 each

Or I can get as many as 70 and they will be £25.20 each.

All prices will be plus delivery and plus VAT so assuming you me and 33 others want a pair each, they will be 62.88 per person

please let me know.

My bus number (if any): RML806 M2276 T1001

I got some from DAF a while ago. I've got a couple in stock so will post the part number later.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thank you both for your help and research.The enquiries I have made and those made by bearing and motor factors have all drawn a blank coming up with obsolete and outlandish prices for remanufacture.

My own past experience of this type of external seal, which was commonly fitted to York trailers as well as some AEC and Leyland if I remember, is that one has to expect a fair degree of leakage and be very careful during hub installation. They are also a swine to install. The 'rubber' is noticeably harder than an internal seal too.

From talking to an ex LT engineer, he could not remember ever having had to replace a leaking one either. However this one has made such a mess and as there are no indications of brake overheating, overpacking or lubricant breakdown, that if possible something needs to be done. Fortunately the design of the hub grease shields allows for some leakage.

Unless the correct withdrawal tool is used, one will be extremely lucky to remove the roughly £150 inner bearing without destroying it.

Having gone through all the negatives however, the prices David is quoting even at the top end of the scale, seem very sensible indeed. However my local DAF dealer has in Jim and Paul two of the most helpful partsmen I have ever met.I have known them both for some 25 years and pester them frequently to dig out the old Lorry parts catalogues, so if it turns out these are still a current product, and correctly dimensioned ,then that would see to be the way to go.

Roy The Bus, can you post the part number when you find it please. It'll be interesting to compare prices.

Roy, This is exactly the information I would like to see published on a parts database.

I will find and post a drawing so we can see exactly what part we are refering to.

Also Roy the bus. I just wondered, have you managed to find a part number and price for the Titan OSR Airbag top plate please.

My bus number (if any): RML806 M2276 T1001

I'll post the seal number when I find the seal again; spares in my place hide when I want to find them.

I'll try for the Titan plate tomorrow, am out most of today.

BTW, I have a load of RT/RF brake seals if anyone needs them.

DAF part no.0486385. got mine from Morgan Elliot, Beddington Lane, Croydon many years ago!

I suspect DAF bought Leyland because there were so many Leylands and AECs in Holland at the time!

Roy,

Sent you an email re the AEC Regent/RT/ RF brake seals.

Jim

My bus number (if any): RLH62

Gotit, been busy giving evidence in court the last couple of days. also got a metro to get ready for the weekend for an event.