ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Calling David Colin

David, tried emailing you but its getting sent back.
Could you advise the best way to wire in a cigarete socket (to power sat nav)next to the start switch on a refurb RML please . I have a voltage reducer 24 to 12 , really just need to know the best place to take feed from.
thanks
mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Re: Calling David Colin

At the risk of being tarred etc., make sure you don't earth anything to the bodywork, this can cause problems with the auto gear panel. For some reason 3rd gear usually succumbs to positive earth faults, coupled with the negative earth from add-ons like sat nav=problems. I know, I've dealt with enough of them.

There will be an electrician along in a while to give you a better explanation.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

You could take a positive and negative from the large terminals behind the cover next to the drivers seat but make sure you take them via a fuse of course. You may not need to use a voltage dropper as some sat navs will work on 24V. As RTB suggests, you must keep the outer casing of the socket insulated from the bus body to prevent an earth fault. You could mount it in a plastic box and fit it under the seat. Not that, in my opinion, it is a problem to have a negative earth as most buses built this side of the Routemaster have this very system.

If only RTB would come back as fast with prices and availability of Titan parts when requested. I would be able to ask him for advice in changing an old air bag. Ooops, I mean the bus suspension air bag. I wasn't implying anything, I mean he isn't an air bag, I mean..... oh whats the point, I was tarred with that brush many years ago.

Toodle pip

My bus number (if any): RML2276 etc

David, I've now got the prices you need and will email them later, I've mislaid the bit of paper with them on!!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks chaps !

My bus number (if any): RML2391

You are welcome mark.

Much appreciated Roy as will be your advice. Re your query on the airbags, the problem I have is the top plate for the airbag in front of the rear axle on the offside is leaking. It appears to be from the connection point but I have only felt this not seen it. It has been suggested that I should change the whole unit, i.e. top plate, bellows and pedestal. What are your thoughts on the whole job? This will be the first time I have done this. I have column lifts and will have a set of tall axle stands as well.
I am happy to change the whole unit and keep any good bits as spares.

David

My bus number (if any): RML2276 etc