ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mystery Box

I'm having trouble opening the little door that was installed on some refitted RMs above the open platform on the inside of the bus. It faces you as you walk down the stairs. It has a little circular type lock. Does anyone know what I need to open it?

Re: Mystery Box

Hi Barry - I don't know the answer to your question but you can find out what is inside by unscrewing the plate which is underneath the cushion of the "lovers' seat". I think this will then allow you to work the catch from inside. My compartment had a rusty video recorder inside with a tape showing film from two cameras!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Hi barry i got into that the same way as brian and also found old video machine there, i did away witrh it along with all the wireing.

My bus number (if any): rml2613

How exciting, it's like a time capsule of sorts. I will attempt this type of access and let you know if I find anything.

My bus number (if any): RML2649

The only thing you should find in the box is the anchor point for the top end of the platform monkey pole plus the clamp that holds it tight. I do know someone who once stashed a load of duty free ciggies in the box when he returned home from a continental visit with his RM - it really does make a useful hideyhole.

My bus number (if any): RM1001

The locker was an addition to take the on-bus video unit and control gear but only a very few buses were actually fitted for full video operation. Most cameras were dummies and only the engineers knew which few in their garage were live.

metro's, and presumably titans, had the same set up only with them the video hatch was in the stair riser on about the third step to the upper saloon.

To open it use thin long-nosed pliers.

Claire

My bus number (if any): RML 2330 etc