ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Doverite tape.

Hi,

I am after enough Doverite tape to recover the handrail nearest the conductors locker. If anybody has some which may be available I would be interested.

Many thanks

Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: Doverite tape.

Look on the roof website , Chris Dobbing put a very good item on there about doing the handrails and I also think he put details of supplier on there .
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Apart from RMCs and RCLs of which I'm not too sure,
The only places Doverite is used on RM/RML types is the central grab pole, the rear platform pole and the forward platform curly grab.

The two inside including the one nearest the cubby are polished stainless.

There were a few anomolies possibly fitted as repairs and covered with doverite to hide the join or welds.

That is correct Jack, the grab rail by the conductor's locker should be stainless steel. There were/are a few odd N/S rear bulkhead grab rails about where the vertical bit towards the bell push has had doverite applied as well as the bit that should have it above the Ticket Box but this was to hide "imperfections"!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

mark
Look on the roof website , Chris Dobbing put a very good item on there about doing the handrails and I also think he put details of supplier on there .
Mark

Hi Mark,

I noticed that but last time I enquired at about the tape there was none in stock.

Anybody able to help?

I spoke to the chap on the RMOOA site about Doverite the other week and he confirms there's none left.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

If there is none left I'll remove the supplier details from rmoof in the next day or two. I've got enough left to do two RMs and short offcuts of little practical use. I'm afraid they are not for sale as I've three buses that will need doing in the next two or three years

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471, 2213 & GS17

My understanding is that there is none of the original stock left for sale as the stock has been reserved for one operator of preserved buses. The machine for making it is with the "named" supplier and I understand needs some work done to get it running again. I have some short bits that would do the short bits on an RM N/S rear bulkhead entrance rail.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Thank you very much for all your replies. Looks like its back to the drawing board for this one.

I'll keep trying, something will crop one day.

Try contacting John Clarke , details on Roof . I understand that he doesn't sell the doverite loose but will refurbish handrails with new doverite if you take/send it to him .

mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Is there any update on the availability of the white stuff? I don't suppose the company with the dies has made a new batch?

The original stuff on 1013 went crackly and fell off years ago and I need to do something before it comes out in public for the summer. If not has anyone had any clever ideas on an alternative that can be used which looks at least vaguely similar? To which I'm thinking of things like the tape you can, or at least used to be able to, get to put on bicycle handlebars or the tape that you put on various sporting implements like tennis or hockey bats. I would really like to do anything other than insulating tape!

Third thought, are the dimensions of the cross section of the original doverite tape available with a view to getting some re-manufactured? I can well believe the costs of tooling to be prohibitively expensive but I have been surprised how cheap I can get some things engineered over here. I'd rather ask the question and be sure that it is impossible rather than just assume the worst.

Any info or ideas much appreciated.

Regards from Prague.

H.

My bus number (if any): RM1013

Last I heard on Doverite is a new machine was being made by John Clarke who had developed a method of producing the coiled lengths manually. This was however a fairly lengthy process and to date he had only been able to produce sufficient to cover the rails he had been asked to do.

John is currently building a new simpler machine to speed up the process and he had hoped to test it by the end of 2012 and produce some.

That didn't happen and I am waiting news of when John will have produced any for sale.

Best thing is for those who want white Doverite to contact John and let him know how much you want, so he knows there is a demand!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961 and several RTs