ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cummins flywheel

I have a customer with a Cummins RML and his flywheel has died, self-destructed.

does anyone know what make flywheel was fitted to these engines?

Some seem to think that a number had AEC standard flywheels, and I reckon later ones had Voith units, but without type numbers for the Voith, we're a bit stuck.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: Cummins flywheel

I take it that there is no identification marking on the Voith. Does your own bus not have a Voith then? If all goes well today, I ought to be able to have a look at a Voith on Friday to see if there are any tags attached. Voith has deep fins running from the centre outwards.

In the meantime I suggest you contact Cummins who ought to know, given the problems encoutered with matching the C series engine to the RML. I know that Thurrock is no longer, but Wellingborough or Darlington are still active I think. Who to ask for I dunno, but Cummins engine co. certainly have the info you require.

When it comes to it the Voith requires an exact quantity of specific oil (13.5l if I recall correctly). It does not take 30 grade.

Re: Cummins flywheel

Speaking to myself again?? too many roys on here.

I gather Voith at Langley may have the answer according to Lionel.

I've never topped up the flywheel in my bus, and have not yet found the top-up point!! I suppose I'll find out when(if) this one makes it to my workshop.

I generally use ATF in flywheels and gearboxes these days. Oil technology has come a long way since 1956 so I was told by an oil industry expert.

Thanks for the help.

My bus number (if any): RML2532