ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Haynes workshop manual!!!

I'm probably going to be shot down in flames for asking this question but here go's.
Has anybody bought a copy of the Haynes Workshop manual for Routemasters?If so is it worth the money?I would like something which covers things such as grease points of which i seem to find more every time i get under the bus,the correct oils to use and the like.
I know there is a manual for sale for around £45 but I'm guessing that probably covers things that I personally wouldn't have the equipment to do.
Hope nobody choked on their Tea when they saw the words Haynes Workshop Manual for Routemasters.

My bus number (if any): RML2478

Re: Haynes workshop manual!!!

Hi Graham

I've ordered but haven't seen a copy of the Haynes Manual but understand that it is most unlikely to give you more practical info than the other manual. This isn't a criticism, it just isn't intended to be that sort of book, in the same way that the Haynes Starship Enterprise manual will not tell you how to fix a warp drive. Still really looking forward to getting it though!!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

I know how to fix the warp drive on a starship,you need a sonic screwdriver but these are difficult to find.As i say I don't want anything that is too difficult to follow,but maybe confirms a few things that i have discovered over the years.

Hoho - well in that case you should have no trouble with a Routemaster then! Seriously, I don't think it will be quite what you need. There is a big need for something more user friendly and detailed - something like the illustrated advice on the South Devon Railway site if you haven't seen it

My bus number (if any): RML2302

If anyone is interested in the LT maintenance bulletins for the RM chassis (LTs own manual), I was selling a PDF version on CD on ebay recently (item number 280739568598) I will relist them if anyone is interested. I believe this is the same info as is published in the bound Routemaster manual you can buy.

So not a Haynes Manual, but may have some useful stuff!

Nick

Nick, is this Maintenance Bulletin No 47, Part 1 Mechanical sections 1 - 19. If not please describe what you have.
Incidentally the Walker manual is more or less a copy of the above, the wording being changed in places.
As far as the Haynes manual is concerned, I made contact with Haynes Publishing back in 2005 to see if they were interested in producing a workshop manual. After supplying them with some information on numbers of Routemasters in existence worldwide, I received a letter signed by John Haynes informing me that they did not have 'suitable accomodation' for vehicles of this size. He also did comment that 'A Manual on these vehicles would not be a practical proposition'.
Based on the latter remarks, it would appear somewhat positive that we at least will have a book on the Routemaster similar to the Haynes Spitfire publication.

My bus number (if any): RCL2250

Well, the Haynes manual arrived 20 minutes ago. It does of course not explain how to repair everything, but altogether I think it makes interesting reading for the enthusiast in general. Have to hide it now, since it will be a little present for my son for Christmas.

My bus number (if any): RML2685 and RML2756

Yes that's the one Ed - 126 pages, including the diagrams. I also have Maintenance Bulletin 48, Part 2 - Body, which is 22 pages and covers the RMC bodywork. And also if anyone is interested, the AEC AV590 engine manual. All scanned and searchable PDFs.

Nick

Just seen a copy of this at a meeting yesterday and it does say 'Enthusiasts manual' on the cover. Very like the copy I have for the Mustang P-51.
Must say though it looked rather good although I did only have time to flick through it.
But I saw enough to make me want a copy of my own. Just ordered and amazon are doing a discount price.

I can't imagine how Haynes or anyone else could do a full and thorough manual with so many variations and modifications and latterly no proper records of mods and suppliers made during the final 8-10 years of Routemaster service. It would be too big and complex.

The LT circulars and info was excellent at the time but is out of date for so many vehicles (RML types in particular) I did not think much of the stuff at the time, the cynics I worked with always managed to diss everything from CRS and engineering!
But in hindsight it was excellent.
The Walker manual is not bad but really needs a lot of updating and addendums.

Nick - I'd certainly be interested in the AV590 Engine Manual. Could you advise me of cost?

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69 (KHC369)

Steve, the CD includes AEC engine manuals for 471, 505, 590, 690, 691 and 760, along with a 505 parts manual. The (ended) item on ebay (280739569201) has all the details. I was selling this for £16 plus postage. I can relist it if you want to buy a CD. (all proceeds are being put towards my own restoration activities)

Nick

For the people who have shown an interest in the AV590 manual and LT maintenance bulletin, I have relisted them on ebay, as below:

Item 280757348859 AEC engines, including AV590
Item 280757349956 LT maintenance bulletin 47 - part 1 which relates to the mechanical side of Routemaster maintenance

Nick

Just received my copy courtesy of Amazon.
It is exactly what it says on the cover an Enthusiasts copy.
It is not your full blown workshop manual but it contains enough info for the person who wants to understand his pride and joy more than he already does.
It is packed with good quality pictures and I will be sat with a cup of Coco/Ovaltine tonight reading through it.

Got my copy from Amazon this morning and have not put it down since..well I did to attend to some work. - returned only to find the MD glued to it!

It's a super book with a good read and superb pictures and illustrations. I only wish it were double the size as there's so much more that could be in it. Maybe a volume 2?
Well done to all who put into it.

To add my two penn'orth. A damn good book. Lots of good pictures, references etc, and good value from Amazon with free "3 to 5 day postage" which took 2 days. Long overdue, not exactly a workshop manual in the true sence, but just what was needed. Top marks.

My bus number (if any): RM531

May as well contribute to this thread.
I think this publication is one of the best on our favourite subject, loads of basic information clearly written in concise terms. The photos are particularly helpful in identifying lots of the parts discussed but not usually seen, and I just wish this manual had been available when I first owned a Routemaster. My copy has the strange distinction of repeating pages 15 - 30, hopefully someone else will not have these pages missing. The only information I could query concerns Appendix 2, Iveco engined examples are not listed for the RCL, and mine is fitted with one.

My bus number (if any): RCL2250