ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seats retrim

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note to say i have just had the seats retrimmed on 2719 back to the original LT moquette.

After some extortionate quotes, i found someone to do them at a reasonable price. I originally approached Busworks, but as we know things are not exactly right there, and after a long chat with one of the guys there i was steered toward a company by the name of P L Trims in Blackpool.

John is the main man there, and he is absolutely brilliant. We were going past the door on a Sunday and he agreed to open up and receive our seats. The following Thursday we came back from Scotland and arrived to find the whole lot done.I also had the leatherette sides done and the seat backs.

I am really pleased with the job they have done and the speed in which they turned them around. I just thought i would recommend them to you all as another great find.

If you are looking to have some work done on your buses, give them a call

John Preston
P L Trims Ltd
Blackpool
01253 696033

Hope this helps

Regards

Chris

My bus number (if any): RML 2719

Re: Seats retrim

Chris ,
What sort of price did you get them done for ? If you prefer email me privately .

Thanks

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Chris,

Same question. Did you provide the moquette seperatly? Does the work include replacing all the foam as well? Feel free to email me if you wish.

I have seen some of the recovering work done by Busworks. The backs and the cushions of the bus I was looking at both had the leather added. The quility looked ok but the leather edging was far to wide by about two inches. This did spoile the whole effect.

Many thanks,
Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re-trimming seats properly is very labour intensive even if you replace tacks for a staple gun. The RT/RM seats have a lot of hand stitching, leather to moquette and on the squabs moquette to rexine/vinyl back. Few re-trimmed cushions I have seen have the underneath protected from rodent incursion by a cloth cover.

Good points by Tom, you cannot compare prices without knowing what of the existing seats was re-used. Not sure why the price of getting seats re-trimmed should be a secret, we pay £64 labour for a three-seat set, £56 labour for a two seat pair all with leather edges as appropriate, we provide all the materials. With our seats as most of the seats were trimmed in the mid seventies, only the boards, blocks and fittings are re-usable.

AS for using leather on RMs, depends on the usage of the bus and the period its supposed to represent I suppose, its good for cushions and squabs where edge wear is possible but adds to the labour and material costs particularly multiplied by 28!!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

My GS seats cost about £2300 inc VAT and that was with me providing the moquette and rexine for the backs.

South East Coachworks at Faversham done them, and as Brian says, to do them properly is very labour-intensive. It took 2 hides of leather for the seat ends, but they look the business.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hi all,

Just to up-date this post a little. I have just picked up my set of RML seats from re-trim which I have had covered in tartan moquette.

The re-trimming work was carried out by Paul Toomer (whose contact details are available on this website) and was carried out to an amazingly high standard.

The total cost for this work was £3300 and this included....

1, New foam in both parts of the seat.
2, Gray Rexene (its not proper Rexene but you know what I mean!) material on the seat backs.
3, Leather edging on both on both parts of the seat.
4, The length of beading along the bottom of the seat back removed, covered in Rexene, and refitted.
5, Black material added to the bottom of the seat cushions.
6, The rotten wood replaced in the seat bases were necessary.

The tartan moquette we provided to Paul from Holdsworth Fabrics Ltd which cost £783.90 (this included VAT and carriage). This was for 40.20 meters which is a little bit more then is needed for an RML. Chris, you may wish to update the website where necessary and with these new prices. - (£16.25 per meter not including VAT and carriage).

Once again, I can thoroughly recommend Paul Toomer for any re-trimming work. The quality of work and his background knowledge on LT seats is truly amazing.

Tom.

Just a reminder that David cooper is about to close the latest order for seat moquette, including RT/RF/GS type; RM tartan, modernisedRF/RMC and possible BEA4RF4 material.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Seats retrim

rmoof updated

Retrimming

Moquette

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471, 2213 and GS17

A Great idea to support someone who is co-ordinating or taking the risk of ordering a production run be it textiles or parts. I hope it is well supported.

roythebus
Just a reminder that David cooper is about to close the latest order for seat moquette, including RT/RF/GS type; RM tartan, modernisedRF/RMC and possible BEA4RF4 material.

Just to be clear here RM tartan which is readily available is NOT part of the order David Cooper is putting together (in conjunction with the LT Museum?).He is orderring RT/RF/RLH/GS moquette RMC/RCL/modernisedRF moquette and possibly the BEA coach moquette

Apologies for confusion. Although it was not on the list of moquettes for special order listed on various websites and in newsletters, standard RM tartan moquette has in fact been ordered by David Cooper.

Tom: How about posting Paul Toomer's contact details.

My bus number (if any): RM1001

Look at Chris' post (the one with the pic of the RM moquette) and follow the link "retrimming"

My bus number (if any): rlh62

Mike, I didn't because they are already on the ROOF website.

I am indeed having made the following

RT moquette.

RMC Grey / red strip

4RF4 BEA Sand / Black.

I have samples of the moquettes but not sure how to up load onto this forum.

Please email or telephone on 01327 830663

My bus number (if any): RM1403 RML2271

Just sorted my Flickr account.

A few photos to go with my earlier post from Nov 11.

RML2344

RML2344

RML2344