ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Electrician wanted

The interior lights on my RM have never been right. A previous owner removed the transmatic lighting and revealed the old bulb fittings underneath, but I suspect the wiring is wrong. Downstairs I get 1 bright bulb on offside, 1 dim one on nearside and that is it! If I put sidelights on, the step light goes out...

Can anyone recommend an auto-electrician with a knowledge of Routemasters, preferably within reasonable distance of St Neots?

My bus number (if any): RM577

Re: Electrician wanted

Hi John
It sounds like the fittings may not be looped up to each other have you taken out the fittings that are working to see if the next fitting is connected to the one that is working.

My bus number (if any): RML 2613

No, I haven't touched anything yet - I am clueless about electrics.

The wiring was heavily modified on Transmatic RMs so that one side would go on all the time, the other side only with the engine running, usually fed via a relay hidden in the top of the conductors box on the ceiling.

It sounds like you have a serious problem there which will involve several days work by the sounds of it.

The only peeps I can suggest are Dave Kreisler and Martin Strange, neither of whom live near St. Neots.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hello John. I'm in Peterborough next Wednesday. Happy to call in to sort your lights.

My bus number (if any): RML 2276 M1001 T806

Ah, it needs a shilling for the meter!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

My bus also has Transmatic Lighting which was fitted by Southend Transport as yours would have been. The wiring was not modified in any way as far as I am aware. The lighting units would have had bayonet connectors on them which simply fitted into the existing interior bulb sockets. I had a return fault on my downstairs near side lower deck lighting causing the lights to dim and do strange things. I rectified the problem by running a new 0V return wire from the under canopy blind box which is connected to the N/S lower deck lighting to the 0V connection block on the starter switch panel above the drivers head in the cab. This meant that the interior ceiling panels did not have to be disturbed in any way. Hope some of this may be useful to you.

My bus number (if any): RM44 RM1138

Thank you Stuart, that indeed sounds very like my problem.

I am pleased to say that I have gladly accepted David Colin's offer of help, and he is visiting next week.